cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find the exact Dropbox desktop app version from the app?

How can I find the exact Dropbox desktop app version from the app?

jayeff
Explorer | Level 4

At https://help.dropbox.com/installs/upgrade-latest-version under "How to see which version of Dropbox you're running" it says version can be found in Preferences "at the bottom of the dialog box (underneath Language)". Not for me, it can't! All that shows below 'Language' is 'Show Dropbox Badge', with 3 options in drop-down list, and 'Show Dropbox in Microsoft Office as a save location' with an 'on/off' switch (it's on). Where DO I find current version?

I should add that CCleaner tells me my version is 200.4.7134 and it also tells me that the current version is 202.4.5551. Dropbox tells me the app is autoupdated which, according to CCleaner hasn't happened. Can't find any way of manually updating that works. I'm running fully up-to-date Windows 10.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@jayeff wrote:

... it says version can be found in Preferences "at the bottom of the dialog box (underneath Language)". Not for me, it can't!

You can just hover your cursor over the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).

073aa936fd712071ca907004919bf791.png

93f5144c4ae44f9f62831b70e66909d1.png

The version is also shown in Preferences on the General tab, in the bottom-right corner of the screen.

aae20551554ce32d465f3af065c2bd3f.png

Dropbox tells me the app is autoupdated which, according to CCleaner hasn't happened. Can't find any way of manually updating that works.

Dropbox will automatically update when it needs to, though they don't push every version out to every user all at once. They typically do slower rollouts, or even release versions that are only meant for a certain group of people, i.e. those with a specific issue.

The only way to update manually is to install the latest version. You can just install over the existing version without issue. Check the Client Builds section of the Community for the current releases. Note that a version with a 3 as the middle number is a beta. Those with a 4 are stable. For example, v203.4.4857 is the latest stable release (as of this writing), and v203.3.4812 is the latest beta.

In most cases, there's no reason to update Dropbox manually unless you're experiencing a specific problem. Just let it manage itself.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jayeff, thanks for messaging the Community.

There has been a recent change to the Dropbox preferences UI, so you might see the version number immediately when accessing the preferences on the bottom right.

Are you able to see the version number there?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@jayeff wrote:

... it says version can be found in Preferences "at the bottom of the dialog box (underneath Language)". Not for me, it can't!

You can just hover your cursor over the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).

073aa936fd712071ca907004919bf791.png

93f5144c4ae44f9f62831b70e66909d1.png

The version is also shown in Preferences on the General tab, in the bottom-right corner of the screen.

aae20551554ce32d465f3af065c2bd3f.png

Dropbox tells me the app is autoupdated which, according to CCleaner hasn't happened. Can't find any way of manually updating that works.

Dropbox will automatically update when it needs to, though they don't push every version out to every user all at once. They typically do slower rollouts, or even release versions that are only meant for a certain group of people, i.e. those with a specific issue.

The only way to update manually is to install the latest version. You can just install over the existing version without issue. Check the Client Builds section of the Community for the current releases. Note that a version with a 3 as the middle number is a beta. Those with a 4 are stable. For example, v203.4.4857 is the latest stable release (as of this writing), and v203.3.4812 is the latest beta.

In most cases, there's no reason to update Dropbox manually unless you're experiencing a specific problem. Just let it manage itself.

Mark
Super User II

If you mouse over the Dropbox icon that also should tell you. 

You can manually update by just running the downloader: www.dropbox.com/downloading - it wont delete/impact settings etc. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jayeff
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay. Thanks for the response - as my late Pa used to say, "There's none so blind as them as can't see!" I totally missed the version number bottom right of the Preferences screen! Info on updates - the fact that they'll be done automatically in due course and how to force them if you really want to - also much appreciated!
cheers - James

jayeff
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rich. Thanks for the response - as my late Pa used to say, "There's none so blind as them as can't see!" I totally missed the version number bottom right of the Preferences screen! Info on updates - the fact that they'll be done automatically in due course and how to force them if you really want to - also much appreciated!
cheers - James

jayeff
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark. Thanks for the response - as my late Pa used to say, "There's none so blind as them as can't see!" I totally missed the version number bottom right of the Preferences screen! Info on updates - the fact that they'll be done automatically in due course and how to force them if you really want to - also much appreciated!
cheers - James

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jayeff Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?