cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How Do I Use Dropbox on Windows 11 with a local User account?

How Do I Use Dropbox on Windows 11 with a local User account?

BuzzLS
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When I set up my Windows 11 computer, it created an Administrator Account (called "Owner").  I put the Dropbox folder directly under the C drive instead of under C:/Users/Owner so that it would be accessible to all users on the computer.  I just created a local standard account (called "MyUser") that I sign into separately.  When I opened the Dropbox app on my standard account, it asked me to sign in.  It created another Dropbox folder under C:\Users\MyUser, which will put two redundant folders on my computer.  When I try to move the Dropbox folder location under Preferences/Sync, Windows asks me to sign into the folder but then Dropbox says that it cannot create a folder at that location.  So - two questions: (1) how do I use my existing Dropbox installation on this computer without creating a redundant folder, and (2) how do I undo what Dropbox just set up on my account?  Do I need quit Dropbox and delete the entire Windows user account? 

I suspect the answer is to NOT open the Dropbox app on my standard account, but instead to open the folder that was already created on the administrator account, and to edit and save in that folder.  If that's the case, I just need to know how to undo or uninstall the app/folder that was created on my standard account (I suspect I just have to delete my Windows user account and start over, but it would be nice to have an easier solution).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MarkW1, it looks like you signed onto the forum using a different Dropbox account, since your username is different. 

I'd still recommend the advanced reinstallation it to fully remove any traces of the Dropbox program or folder on the administrator account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @BuzzLS, thanks for messaging the Community!

You can remove the new Dropbox folder created in the local account by signing out of the Dropbox desktop application in that profile. You can then delete the Dropbox folder in the User/MyUser folder without it affecting the other Dropbox folder in Owner.

Regarding your first question, it isn't possible to have two separate Dropbox apps on the same machine connected to the same Dropbox folder on the computer. 

You might be able to access the admin Dropbox folder normally from Explorer in the local account, and add/edit/delete files there, but no files can sync until you sign into the administrator account itself, since that is where the Dropbox app is connected to the folder.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

BuzzLS
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Also: Dropbox was set to automatically start when I sign into my standard account.  After Dropbox started, I set it to not start up automatically and then quit the app again.  When I signed in as an Administrator, Dropbox started on that account as usual.  So, it looks like on a Windows 11 standard user sign-in, you just access the folder without opening the app.  Also, I needed to move the folder out of my Administrator user folder (e.g., C:\User\Owner\My Dropbox) and move My Dropbox directly under my C drive.  Otherwise, I cannot access the folder while signed in as a standard user.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Okay, so just for clarification, you want to be able to access the Dropbox folder while on a standard account.

Are you looking to instead remove the Dropbox folder from the administrator account (and sign out of the account there), and then use the standard profile alone to use the app and that Dropbox folder there like normal?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

BuzzLS
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That would work.

Right now, there's a top-level Dropbox icon on my standard account (see screeenshot below).  It still points to the C:\Mike\Users\ folder which I deleted.  So, even though I quit Dropbox and deleted the folder as was suggested here, there are still some worrisome settings where.  Maybe the best approach is just delete the standard user account through Windows, then install a new standard user account, and then install Dropbox from that account?

Screenshot 2023-08-02 124130.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

At this point, to ensure that everything is removed, I'd recommend an advanced reinstallation of the Dropbox desktop application.

Just follow the steps to uninstall the program while logged into the Administrator account, and the log out and reboot the machine entirely, and let me know if the folder is removed.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MarkW1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I went ahead and deleted the standard user account.  Is it still necessary to do an advanced reinstallation?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MarkW1, it looks like you signed onto the forum using a different Dropbox account, since your username is different. 

I'd still recommend the advanced reinstallation it to fully remove any traces of the Dropbox program or folder on the administrator account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MarkW1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes - when I signed into the forum in my standard account it caused me to create a user name, but when I sign in under the administrative account or another computer it caused me to create a different user name.  Is there a way to merge those, or to delete one and to just sign in using my original user name?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The usernames are associated with different Dropbox accounts, meaning you have completely different email addresses. 

If you have more than one email address, make sure you're signed into the correct one when using the Dropbox desktop application, and when signing onto the site to post here.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?