cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else installed Dropbox on a Puppy Linux on a USB?

Has anyone else installed Dropbox on a Puppy Linux on a USB?

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

Is anyone using dropbox on a usb installation of puppy linux or any other linux dist on a usb?

8 Replies 8

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@LANdpLAN, what are you asking for actually? Where Linux is installed doesn't matter; the important thing is compatible configuration (installed libraries, FS, etc).

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

I am using Frigal Pup 64 V9.5 and I've installed Dropbox 198.4.7615 with PPM.  I used Palemoon 33 to sign in.
Now dropbox says "Your Dropbox folder is on a file system that is no longer supported." I can choose:
>see requirements...>https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing#location
or Quit Dropbox
or Move> and I tried to save but it gave me the same error "Your Dropbox folder is on a file system that is no longer supported."

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LANdpLAN - sorry to jump in here, but did you make sure that the partition/drive your Dropbox folder is using a supported file system from the ones mentioned here

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Здравко  wrote:

... the important thing is compatible configuration (installed libraries, FS, etc).

@LANdpLAN wrote:

Now dropbox says "Your Dropbox folder is on a file system that is no longer supported." ...

What is the filesystem that your home folder is mounted on?

Add: What is the result of:

stat -f ~

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

root# stat -f ~
File: "/root"
ID: 0 Namelen: 242 Type: aufs
Block size: 4096 Fundamental block size: 4096
Blocks: Total: 967485 Free: 613173 Available: 613173
Inodes: Total: 967485 Free: 962396

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Unfortunately, Dropbox limited support for different file system. Now only small subset of all available FSes are acceptable for Dropbox. As you can see on your own, your FS - aufs - is not between supported file systems. You have to setup different one (select between supported) to be able run Dropbox application. That's it.

Good luck.

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

I don't understand how to do this.  My root is on sdc2 ext4 partition.  Dropbox tells me to move the folder to an ext4 partition and will not let me save to sdc2/Screenshot.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@LANdpLAN wrote:

...  My root is on sdc2 ext4 partition.  ...

No, according the screenshot your root should be on scd1! See the "Mount Point"; does sdc2 mount point wrap your account home folder?! 😉

Add: To be certain what you have done, just check with the above command again in context where you plan use Dropbox application. Everything else is... speculation.

Add: More complete picture of what/where is mounted can be seen, if you want/need, using:

cat /etc/fstab

Keep in mind that tools responsible for partitioning show correctly physical partitioning, but not always how they are mounted (it's just extra, not their main task - especially with multi-mount). Such tools usually don't check this and result may be incomplete. Even the above command may be incomplete - it shows only static mounted partitions (such tuned to be available at boot time - usually enough for this thread discussion). If you want to include dynamic mounted partitions too (if there are such), use just:

mount

The result will show everything mounted at the command run moment (not mandatory useful as information in the current context) - it gives full picture in the current moment.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    LANdpLAN Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?