cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File size zero bytes for online-only files on Apple M3 (Silicon)

File size zero bytes for online-only files on Apple M3 (Silicon)

andy011
New member | Level 2

I need to see file size in my Dropbox folder in my Mac. I just moved to a new Mac with M3 Pro (Silicon) processor and for online-only files it shows zero bytes. On my intel processor Mac I see the file size for each file correctly even if they are online only. Is this a bug on M processors? How to fix it?

I followed this advice from another thread, but it didn't work:

As a first attempt to resolve this issue, can you please follow the steps below:

Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running
Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel
Select 'Preferences'
Click on the 'Account' tab
Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key
Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key)
You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andy011
New member | Level 2

All done 🙂 

Had to grant some permissions (full disk) to DB in Mac. Unlinked DB and then started over and let it choose the default path. It did go to Library/Cloud Storage and now all works fine. Thanks! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @andy011, welcome to our Community! 

On your new Mac, do you have the new File Provider update, where the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage? 

If you could also let me know the OS you're using with your Mac, that'd be amazing. 

Can you hover your mouse over the little Dropbox icon on your menu bar, next to your WiFi, and check the version of the app that you're using there? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

andy011
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan,

The folder path is Macintosh HD/Users/Andy/Dropbox.

Running latest Sonoma 14.2 (23C64).

App version: 188.4.6302

Not sure about File Provider update. In app preferences > Sync it says: You are not eligible for the updated Dropbox for macOS on File Provider at this time.

Any idea why is that?

Thanks!

andy011
New member | Level 2

Checked my old Mac (intel) and the folder is in: /Users/***/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

Tried setting up the new Mac the same way. Unlinked DB, selected the new path and it says: Error with selected folder. 

Can't create a Dropbox folder in the requested location.

Any suggestions?

andy011
New member | Level 2

All done 🙂 

Had to grant some permissions (full disk) to DB in Mac. Unlinked DB and then started over and let it choose the default path. It did go to Library/Cloud Storage and now all works fine. Thanks! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Amazing troubleshooting steps, before I could even suggest it, Andy! 

Well done. Have a lovely weekend ahead, and don't hesitate to get back to us if you need anything else! 😎

Megan
dropbox.com/support

StevMo1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem, and I'm not techy enough to understand the solution you've written here.  Can you (or someone) please lead me through the steps of fixing this problem so my Dropbox files don't all show up as zero bytes, as they currently do? I tried the "Fix permissions" procedure above, but it didn't work.

StevMo1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Megan, you seem like a nice person! Can you help me? I'm having the same problem as @andy011 (new MacBook Air w/M3 chip), and I'm not techy enough to understand the solution he wrote above.  Can you please lead me through the steps of fixing this problem so my Dropbox files don't all show up as zero bytes, as they currently do? I tried the "Fix permissions" procedure above, but it didn't work.

StevMo1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm trying to upload all my Dropbox photos to my Nixplay (digital photo frame) account, but Nixplay won't allow me to upload files with zero bytes!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @StevMo1, let's jump right into this! 

Feel free to share some additional details with me such as the OS you're currently using on your device, and the app's current version that you have installed there. 

Other than "fixing the permissions" have you tried anything else on your end? 

When did you first notice this? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?