cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox support for MacOS 12.3 - can we finally upgrade?

Dropbox support for MacOS 12.3 - can we finally upgrade?

paul20
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, I cannot find anywhere anyone saying that Dropbox properly supports MacOS 12.3, even though it was released weeks ago and has now been superseded by 12.3.1 with zero-day fixes.  I can find discussion of this question in the past, and I can find several users having significant problems with 12.3 as recently as this morning (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/High-CPU-Usage-after-updating-MacBook-...), but not anywhere where Dropbox can say that 12.3 is actually supported.  As of 3 weeks ago, the most that was said was that it was not fully supported yet.  Since then there has been a conspicuous silence.  (The issue, of course, is that Apple finally completely banned the file system extension Dropbox was using, per what they had been promising for years.)

Is 12.3 officially supported?  What are the limitations associated with running Dropbox in 12.3, if any?

93 Replies 93

paul20
Helpful | Level 6

On the plus side I do see that there is finally native support for Apple silicon!  Yea!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi @paul20, thanks for your interest in this!

We’re actively working on full support for macOS 12.3 (Monterey). You can read more info in this article from our Help Center.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

paul20
Helpful | Level 6

Ok, so you're still working on properly supporting macOS 12.3.  In the meantime, what limitations and/or bugs do we know exist if we go ahead and upgrade to macOS 12.3 without joining the beta program?  I am aware that online-only files will show as zero size and may not be possible to open unless opened from the Finder.

If we upgrade to macOS 12.3/12.3.1, do you recommend we use the normal version of Dropbox, or upgrade to the beta channel?

Keeping my machine on macOS 12.2.1 is a security risk.  But my data is really important to me too, and I don't like feeling like I have to balance those against each other.  (I count 37 system-level security problems fixed in 12.3.  Fortunately only one of those is remote code execution.  2 more problems were fixed in 12.3.1, both of which Apple says they have been told have been actively exploited.)

marksc111
Helpful | Level 6

It's obvious that Dropbox stopped caring about their Mac software (and by extension, their Mac customers) years ago. I can't hold off updating my macOS for much longer. What you are forcing me to do, Dropbox team. is seriously reconsider my relationship with DP as my cloud-share solution. What a slide—10 years ago DP was a great Mac software developer. Frankly, I'll be glad when I can finally expunge your **bleep**ty resource-hogging crapware from my machine. Why are my fans suddenly going nuts? Silly me, just Dropbox crashing and relaunching itself in the background again, and spawning about 100 threads at 100% cpu each just to perform the initial sync yet again. The message is loud and clear (even above all that fan noise), Mac users: Dropbox doesn't want your business. So maybe it's time to go somewhere that does. 

UKD
Experienced | Level 12

Is there any update? You've been working on this for a very long time now.

12.4 is out now and yet you can still hear the crickets for the lack of announcement coming from Dropbox. If you value your customers maybe you can give actual updates to them to let them know where you are and maybe even what challenges you are facing. Customers may be sympathetic to what issues you're having.

You guys used to rock but as I've noticed with all those great companies that got big over the years, they neglect the maintenance and updating of the day to day main features people use and start concentrating on new features that nobody asked for just so they look "cool" in the space. Like another commenter I too am tied of Dropbox hogging huge amounts of RAM, making my fans go wild and make me sound like I'm in a wind tunnel. Come on guys, you used to be much better than this.

UKD
Experienced | Level 12

@dropbox Are you going to ever update your software?

@dropbox Are you ever going to respond to your PAYING CUSTOMERS with more than "we're working on it"  because you've been saying it for a very long time now.

I've got 39TB on Dropbox, so to move it is a pain, but I will if I get more concerned over the security of our machines, because we can't upgrade our OSes to a more secure version of it.

@dropbox you do realise WWDC is right around the corner with the more than likely launch of macOS 13 in the autumn as usual. At the rate you're going macOS 13 will be out before you've sorted macOS 12.3.

nicetriangle
Helpful | Level 6

Any news on this? It's been a known issue for months now.

jeff w.44
Helpful | Level 6

Very disappointed in Dropbox about this issue.

sphen
Collaborator | Level 8
Seriously?!?!??!? I never thought that Dropbox would have literally NOTHING to say about 12.3+ support to this day. No beta no nothing. We are extremely close to 90 days after the release of 12.3 and will not be able to prevent users from updating. What’s the deal?!
Need more support?