cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox "Connecting..." with VPN

Dropbox "Connecting..." with VPN

dhayduk
Explorer | Level 4

Been using Dropbox for many years. Normally DB is connected and status is "up to date". And it had been then when I started VPN to the office, that DB would lose connection (not surprising) and would then re-establish the connection. But for the past few updates, the DB icon in the tray is grayed out and the status stays "Connecting...". Sometimes it will even sync any changes that get made (say I upload a picture via my phone), but not always. Proxy is set to AUTO.

Definitely didn't have this problem in earlier versions - just not sure exactly when it started (currently running v127.4.4265 on Windows).

18 Replies 18

dhayduk
Explorer | Level 4

And "pausing" and then resuming syncing doesn't fix it either.

Sometimes I can toggle the proxy setting from auto to direct and then back to auto and then it might work. But that's successful maybe 30-50% of the time and so I usually just restart dropbox entirely.

alturic
Explorer | Level 3
Yep, exact same problem here.

Using OpenVPN.

alturic
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay Thoughts?

Conditions to reproduce

Be connected to OpenVPN (unsure if this affects other VPNs or not)

Be connected to DropBox

Lose Connection/Reconnect to VPN

DropBox loses internet connection and never regains it.

In my case, it's even crazier DropBox thinks it lost connection to the internet because I don't use my VPN connection for any internet traffic outside of connecting to corporate servers. Pausing/unpausing does nothing, I have to close DropBox and reopen it and it's happy again.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @alturic, I hope you're doing well!

A VPN can cause issues with the connection of the desktop app, one way or another. Maybe not at first, but initially it will.

Now, connection problems usually mean there is a proxy, firewall, antivirus or other type of security program in the way. Can you check that?

Moving forward, the best way for you to get assistance might be to reach out to the company that makes your VPN for support, and ask them about this too. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

alturic
Explorer | Level 3
Megan,

I don’t believe my ISP or VPN provider can tell us why Dropbox loses connection when connecting to a VPN (although as a developer I can understand vaguely why) NOR would they be able to tell me why Dropbox can never reconnect after it loses connection, outside of closing and reopening Dropbox.

We’ve provided reproducible steps on how your team can track down why Dropbox has this issue, so we will have to wait until Dropbox provides a fix.

JP25
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue and use ProtonVPN. Dropbox icon remains grayed out until I restart the app or disable VPN.

alturic
Explorer | Level 3

Still no resolution to such a simple issue. Sad. I prefer DropBox to all of the other file management solutions out there too - all of which work completely fine with connecting/disconnecting to VPNs.

And again, in my situation, my VPN is strictly routing a few IP's through it. Anything and everything related to DropBox is always routed through the default LAN connection.

AtlasJustice
New member | Level 2

I have this issue. Using ProtonVPN. Annoying that i have to restart Dropbox on my Mac. Disruptive when i forget to manually restart Dropbox and then my local files don't sync with my partners. Please fix!

alturic
Explorer | Level 3

You know, I came here to give an update about how I thought it was a specific provider I was trying out at the time, but after reading my comments I was (and still am) using OpenVPN and while I am using the OpenVPN GUI and not their normal app (which is what I was using at the time), I haven't had this issue since.

So it's possibly it's something with the way the actual underlying "app" that performs the connections is doing. I'd suspect that some of the apps (unless they all inherently have to of course) potentially cut all connectivity when it connects/reconnects and that trips up Dropbox.

Like I said, I'm currently using OpenVPN GUI and I haven't had the issue with Dropbox since. Absolutely nothing else has changed on my end since.

Need more support?