cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox on PC now inaccessible to the blind

Dropbox on PC is inaccessible to the blind - I can't access the app preferences

Kevan P.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello,

I'm a blind user using a screen reader on PC.

Dropbox has changed it's layout and now I can't get to the settings menu in the system tray icon. I can only view searches, recent activity, and upgrade button. No menu is visible to the screen reader like before... Can you please fix it so I can continue to use your service properly? I need to turn off auto-start with Windows but now I cannot since you had to change your layout.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kevan P.
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for rollbacking the change. It now works better. I found a workaround to access the buttons with the change implemented, I have to turn on focus-mode in the screen reader and tab/shift+tab to move between buttons. But the old way of doing things is easier.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Kevan P.
Helpful | Level 7

Sorry, it's worth noting I'm on Dropbox 202.4.5551. It was fine a couple days ago so the change must've been implemented very recently.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this on our forum, @Kevan P., and welcome aboard.

Can I ask which screen reader you’re using and what its version is?

Also, what's the OS version of your computer?

I’d like to gather as much info as possible on this and check what may be happening. 

Ping me when you’re ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kevan P.
Helpful | Level 7

NVDA 2024.2, latest version
Windows Home Premium 10.0.19045 Build 19045

Jordi-DBX
Dropbox Engineer

Thank you for writing in @Kevan P. , and reporting this problem!

We've identified that you were recently included in a new experience in the system tray icon. While we investigate this issue and work on any needed fixes, we've temporarily rolled back this update for you.

Within an hour or so, you should no longer have this experience. Please let us know if that resolves the issue for you!

Kevan P.
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for rollbacking the change. It now works better. I found a workaround to access the buttons with the change implemented, I have to turn on focus-mode in the screen reader and tab/shift+tab to move between buttons. But the old way of doing things is easier.

Jordi-DBX
Dropbox Engineer

Hi @Kevan P. , wanted to reach back out. Glad you found a solution on both versions!

We've fixed what we believe to be the issue you were experiencing. You should see the new experience within the hour. Please reply here and tag me if you continue to have any issues in the new experience with your screen reader!

Need more support?