cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What does File Provider for MacOS get me?

Dropbox on File Provider support for macOS questions

AndyPas
Explorer | Level 4

I'm reading quite a few threads on File Provider support for MacOS and I have some questions.

What exactly does this get me? It seems like a step backwards. I'm losing Dropbox Vault support and LAN Sync. I assume at some point, I will have no choice and Dropbox will force us to use File Provider support. Or will the existing sync method continue to work?

Second question. The KB article about it says that we will not get it if we have an external drive connected to our computer. Well, on one of my Macs, I have an external drive, but my Dropbox folder is not on it. Does this mean that I will never get File Provider support, or that I will only not get it, if I keep my Dropbox folder on the external drive?

Also, is File Provider support required across all my Macs?  Can I have File Provider support on one Mac and not the other?  Also, I have a Windows PC, and a Linux PC both which use the Dropbox client. Will that keep me from using this new File Provider support?

10 Replies 10

AndyPas
Explorer | Level 4

Understandable.

Need more support?