cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox asking me to install MacOS for File Provider Update again!

Dropbox keeps asking me to install the MacOS for File Provider update, but it's already installed

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

This thing just runs in a cycle! I get a notice that it's available, so I start - it seems like it does a partial reinstall - asks me the re-log in - re-verify folders I am syncing - it says it is moving Dropbox to a new secure location (which seems to be CloudStorage under Library - but it's already there!) - adds Dropbox to the left pane of Finder - and it's already there. It seems to want to add the Finder extensions, but they don't show up - even though Dropbox has Full Disk Access permissions under Files and Folders (Settings/Privacy & Security). When it's done, it still shows this exact same status with a badge on my menu bar:

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.57.37 PM.png

Some days I have done this 3 or 4 times - same cycle. I end up just clicking "Not Now" to get rid of this.

Is this broken? Something wrong on my end? It's very annoying!

I am on Dropbox Essentials - MacBook Pro M3 Max - Sonoma 14.3.1 - Dropbox v 193.4.5594

17 Replies 17

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

It originally started about 4-6 weeks ago, as you can see in the thread it was in a constant cycle. @Megan  Once I closed dropbox and restarted my mac, it had not happened for about 4 weeks since yesterday. Yesterday as I said, I just said "not right now" and it has not come back. Even though, the dropbox folder is in the proper place now for the MacOS for File Provider Update, the folder CloudStorage. I should be on the latest Mac version, v195.4.4995 it says...

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @donawalt, thanks for clarifying!

Would you mind sending me some screenshots of the syncing icons of files, inside your Dropbox folder, please? 

I'd like to check, and also have a visual on my end too. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

Not sure what you mean - there are no sync icons, as everything is sync'd - ie there is no little cloud showing or anything. As I show here, Dropbox says everything is up to date.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 6.18.54 PM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @donawalt, my colleague was referring to the Dropbox folder as it appears in Finder. A screenshot of that showing the icons next to the files would be great.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

OK, here is a picture, I blocked out the folder names. As I said above, there are no icons.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 6.36.47 PM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It looks like either this isn't the correct Dropbox folder, or the icons aren't visible due to Mac OS settings. Could you attach a bigger screenshot showing the location of the Dropbox folder in Finder, and that it has the official icon on it?

Is the Dropbox desktop application currently running when you took that screenshot?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

It's there - it's just faint for some reason. This photo shows it's in CloudStorage where it should be.  Maximize the pic and you can see the Dropbox icon clearly.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 7.40.38 PM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?