cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox hung on "connecting", update installed the beta desktop app on Windows

Dropbox hung on "connecting", update installed the beta desktop app on Windows

mtbarr64
Helpful | Level 5

About 3 weeks ago, Dropbox update installed a BETA application on my W11 machine. Icon is greyed out, hovering over says "connecting." Version 207.3.5702

I downloaded the STABLE PROD release version 203.4.4857 and that RESOLVED the issue. That install was a true .exe file, not the shortcut to a server to install directly.

So Sept 17, the auto updater installed AGAIN a BETA release, version 208.4.5824. Again hung on "connecting," and it never resolved in 3 DAYS of waiting.

NOTHING on my machine changed. I have locked all W11 updates and installed no new software. No router changes. Other half's laptop has the old production version, NO BETA update and theirs is working.

I TRIED to uninstall, reboot, and install the STABLE PROD version 203.4.4857. This time the install is a shortcut to a server, not a LOCAL install.

At this point I am done with Dropbox, it appears they hired the CrowdStrike fired release/QA team!

Has anyone else encountered this? WHY am I getting BETA releases and how do I fix this now. The uninstall, reboot, reinstall method did not work.

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mtbarr64, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The stable version of the app would be XXX.4.XXXX, so it looks like you had the stable version the last time you updated. 

Could you check to see that the early access option is disabled on this page on the site?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?