cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Folders in Windows Explorer very slow (not iCloud)

Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

currentj
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am having trouble with dropbox working through my Windows file explorer.  For some reason, within the last week every time I try to navigate to one of my dropbox files the file explorer crashes and I have to force close the program.  I can open files from the specific application.  For instance, if I open Word and then open a file from word it will open, but if I try to open the same file from the windows file explorer it freezes.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall.  Any other suggestions/solutions?

158 Replies 158

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @doubleezat, thanks for posting here today! 

Does this happen with your Dropbox folder, or any other folder on your device? 

As a test, would you mind quitting the app, and then -before opening it again- checking to see if the same thing happens while the app isn't running? 

Let me know what you find, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

doubleezat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, it happens only on Dropbox folder. Folder from other cloud storage provider is not affected, as are local storage folders.

I have tried quitting the app, and the folder still freezes. However, if I uninstall the app, the folder can be opened with no issue. After reinstalling the app, the issue reoccurs.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @doubleezat! Can you clarify what’s the OS version of your computer, as well as the Dropbox app version?

Did you start having this issue after an update, for example, or did something else happen?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

doubleezat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Nancy, I'm on Windows 10 22H2, and my Dropbox version is 189.4.8395. Unfortunately, I did not notice the update as the app is always updated automatically.

What happened was I switched on my PC this Tuesday after the festive holiday, and the issue starts happening. A roll back using System Restore (to last week's restore point) solved the problem temporarily, but today the issue reoccurs.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying, @doubleezat! Can I log a ticket for you then? We’ll need to investigate this internally, it seems.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

doubleezat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Nancy. Yes, please proceed with logging a ticket for me. Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @doubleezat - sorry to jump in here, but could you clarify if the app is up to date or syncing when this happens?

Also, do you happen to have any other 3rd party apps other than the antivirus you mentioned that might be monitoring, syncing or backing up your files in the Dropbox folder? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

doubleezat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter, yes, the app is up to date and syncing with no issue.

I only have one anti virus app which is Trend Micro Maximum Security. I am not aware of any other apps that might be monitoring, syncing or backing up my Dropbox files. I have also ran through troubleshooting and debugging with Trend Micro's technical support - they concluded that the issue is not coming from their antivirus app.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information @doubleezat 

I've just sent you an email to investigate further, so please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dhannah
Helpful | Level 5

A couple weeks ago I noticed that when I'm in the Dropbox folders on my Windows Explorer, the folder open very slowly and navigation has a huge lag. This is problematic as going through a folder system takes ~10 times longer than it needs to.

I've searched some other solutions online and the main solution that many forums are suggesting is an issue with Apple iCloud on their computers; however, I do not have iCloud on my computer and have just uninstalled all Apple related Apps that I had on my computer, which were few. There has been no change in how quickly I can load the folders after uninstalling them.

Some potentially relevant information:

Windows 10 Pro

Dropbox App installed on my Computer (v190.4.6383)

Connected to my work Dropbox (Dropbox Standard)

Connected also to my personal Dropbox (Dropbox Basic)

Google Drive installed on my Computer; however, I'm only syncing my Documents folder

I tried to update my computer but I'm having issues with a security update (see below). Not sure if that's causing the issue with the Dropbox folders or not. I've restarted my computer twice and still get the same error message.

dhannah_0-1705513706641.png

Need more support?