cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox toolbar icon is missing Debian GNOME.

Dropbox toolbar icon is missing Debian GNOME.

Andrew L.52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Toolbar Icon missing Debian 12, GNOME

Some other versions of Debian desktops, other Linuxes are okay.

A solution given by Dropbox is to download a newer version of Dropbox than is in the Debian Repositories, which is dated this year, and install that.  This did not resolve the issue.  

At the present time, I do not have Dropbox installed on this PC because I do not have the space.  If I had the icon, I could selectively turn off local synchronisation of some directories and resolve the space issue.  

I observe that there is much discussion on this issue, but not specifically for Debian GNOME.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew L.52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I can share, stop synchronisation, stop Dropbox and relink by deleting the directory, I don't know, but I expect I could log into a different user therefore.

And I may have had all these features without carrying out the reinstallation?

Lastly, I am now using Dropbox version 1.26.0

Anyway thanks for your help
Andrew

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Andrew L.52, thanks for posting here! 

When did this start happening on your end? 

You also mentioned that you downloaded the latest version of our app. Did you uninstall first, or simply install the app atop of the already existing one? 

Have you contacted our Support about this? I'm simply asking since you mentioned some troubleshooting steps on your thread. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Andrew L.52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, Megan,

I have tried it all ways, install over, remove first and remove everything first.  Synaptic reports version 2024.04.17 and this is the current version (it is possible this has changed overnight from being an untested version).
It is possible that the version on my computer is not the updated version reported because when I have uninstalled Dropbox the icons in the file browser are still present, so anything could be running.

I have not contacted support on this issue before but search answers on this forum and the web.

I am now running Dropbox, having deleted many files I did not need.  This time from the repositories that now list this newer version but did not allow me to install the version I downloaded from the Dropbox website.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Andrew L.52, is it possible that the version is 206.4.6506 instead of the one you mentioned? 

I'd also suggest an advanced re-install on your end, to see if that remedies the issue. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Andrew L.52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I now think I have the correct version of Dropbox installed.  When Dropbox was clicked this time, a download occurred.  The icon in the toolbar still is not displayed, but the Dropbox icons in the file manager handle some of the features and provide others.

I ran through the advanced reinstallation but with some difference such as adding the line "su" because this is Debian which is a little different to Ubuntu.  The source code directory did not exist because I don't choose to download that.  And the last three commands of the block of commands did not find anything to do.

I used the same version as I downloaded from dropbox.com but from repositories as it has been added since yesterday.

It maybe that I have not found my way around this different way that the GNOME version works.  So I have not found all the things I could do with the other desktops which have the toolbar icon.

For now, I am okay, and I will look at what I have got.  I may come back and ask something else related.

Andrew L.52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I can share, stop synchronisation, stop Dropbox and relink by deleting the directory, I don't know, but I expect I could log into a different user therefore.

And I may have had all these features without carrying out the reinstallation?

Lastly, I am now using Dropbox version 1.26.0

Anyway thanks for your help
Andrew

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Andrew L.52, is the little Dropbox icon missing, or the one that helps you access your content inside the device? 

As for the Dropbox version, it sounds like the one you mentioned isn't correct. If you have the little Dropbox icon, you can hover your mouse over it in order to identify the version. 

Also, just to make sure we're on the same page here: would you mind clarifying what you wish to achieve? You wish to be able to log out of the app, and then sign in using a different email address? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Andrew L.52
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Good morning Megan,

Although I do not have a toolbar Dropbox icon, I do have some icons next to each file browser folder or file.
A tick or a spin to indicate its update status,
A link icon which allows me to share that particular folder
Another icon gives me options, such as open dropbox.com, and unshare.
Also, if I delete the Dropbox folder, the account becomes unlinked and a Dropbox pop-up appears inviting me to relink it to the folder or exit.  I can use this to restore the Dropbox folder and I think change the account I use.

I have not used Debian GNOME desktop for several years, but it seems different to Ubuntu which also now uses GNOME desktop.

By comparison Linux Mint Mate does have the toolbar icon and now I have re-installed in the advanced way you advised it also has the Dropbox symbols or Icons in the file browser dropbox folders and files as gnome has.

Regards
Andrew

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Andrew L.52 Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?