cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Dropbox file appeared in my Dropbox folder after data hack

.Dropbox file appeared in my Dropbox folder after data hack

tansie
New member | Level 2

My computer was hacked and data stolen.  After this I noticed a cache file and .dropbox file became visible to me in my list of folders and files.  In opening properties the .dropbox file security tab  listed 3 group or user names:  1. SYSTEM, 2. my name and email, and 3. administrators and my computer name/administrators.  I have a dropbox account on my phone which does not show these files and a friend's Dropbox files does not show them either.  Should these names other than mine be deleted; I'm pretty gunshy and worried that Dropbox has been compromised on my computer.  I have just the basic, free plan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tansie
New member | Level 2

Rich.  Thank you so much.  I absolutely don't understand any of it.  Am thinking the guy that checked out my computer for nasties loaded by the hacker enabled them in his search.  Never occurred to look at other files' properties as am in uncharted territory with stolen data.  Jumping at everything that goes bump in the night.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tansie, thanks for reaching out to us.

It sounds like you might have enabled hidden files for your computer and that's why you're able to see the .dropbox file etc.

Can you try disabling that, to see if it helps?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tansie
New member | Level 2

Thanks Hannah, but I'm more concerned about the listed entities other than myself that are present.  No one other than myself should have access to my Dropbox. Can you explain SYSTEM and administrators to me and why they are listed? Again, I'm really nervous as all my data was stolen, a lot of which was on Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

@tansie wrote:

... I'm more concerned about the listed entities other than myself that are present. Can you explain SYSTEM and administrators to me and why they are listed?

Those entries are from your operating system and are completely normal. SYSTEM is an account used by Windows for system tasks, and Administrators is the default admin group for your computer. Look at the properties of almost any folder and you'll see the same thing.

I would advise that you don't remove those entries unless you understand Windows permissions and know what you're doing.

tansie
New member | Level 2

Rich.  Thank you so much.  I absolutely don't understand any of it.  Am thinking the guy that checked out my computer for nasties loaded by the hacker enabled them in his search.  Never occurred to look at other files' properties as am in uncharted territory with stolen data.  Jumping at everything that goes bump in the night.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tansie New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?