cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Sync Causing Blue Screen Crash (SERVICE_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)

Dropbox Sync Causing Blue Screen Crash (SERVICE_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)

Henry2016
Explorer | Level 4

Some of my photos would never sync up properly or I could never open them because DropBox would not for some reason download them properly and would always be stuck in "syncing" with no progress.  I uninstalled and reinstalled DropBox on my desktop and now it tries to resync the entire library.  About half way through, it consistently causes my computer to crash with the blue screen with message SERVICE_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.  My computer won't crash when I'm not running DropBox.  Please help!

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Henry2016, sorry to hear about that! 

Could you let me know the app's current syncing status, along with the version that you have installed on the device?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Henry2016
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Megan, it looks like when I restart it tries to resync 67,000 files.  Once it gets down to 33,000 left to sync, it causes the blue screen of death crash and says "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" but with no error code.  It's consistently around the same amount of syncing progress each time that it fails.  I have tried to uninstall DropBox and restart numerous times only to find that DropBox is back installed again.  It looks like my DropBox version is 161.4.4923.  I found out that my computer has never created restore points (running Windows 10) and it won't let me manually create restore points as the VSS writer services fail every time.  I restart each VSS writer only to have them do it again (even when those services are placed in automatic).  I'm not sure if the VSS services are related to the DB sync issues but I'm pretty sure that if I can uninstall DropBox and then create a restore point for a restart image on my Windows computer that I should be able to do a clean reinstall.  I downloaded the "Dropbox offline installer" file but it fails to install every time even after uninstalling DropBox.  I have uploaded pics to Dropbox from my iPhone but then I can't open them on any other device with the same account, even though it shows uploaded to DropBox.  It is extremely frustrating as I run a real estate business and can't function with these issues.  Please help!

Henry2016
Explorer | Level 4

FYI, the installation failure message gives an error code of -1073741819.  The "show me help for this issues" link is useless as I've already verified my operating system meets requirements, downloaded the full offline version, etc.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Henry2016, thanks for the info! 

Could you ensure that there is no security software that is blocking the connections and that you have whitelisted all of the Dropbox domains within any security software or hardware you have?  

Please ensure that these steps were followed for the configuration of your firewall and double check that the domains listed here have been allowed. 

Feel free to also have a look into this Help Center article. As for the offline installer, does it give you any errors when you try to install it? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Henry2016 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?