cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

Dropbox Apple Silicon (M1) install

wwmiller3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 processor and I cannot seem to get a native install of Dropbox for this chipset. From searching the community, it seems like M1 support should be available in the latest installer. However, trying that plus the latest beta build all ask me to install Rosetta during installation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Warren

184 Replies 184

Roman G.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, we are in the same boat, it's very disappointing. Contacting Dropbox support on 3 occasions and being passed to different members of the team, nobody knows what M1 Mac is, nobody knows what "native" is and they all just send me to a page that explains how to reduce CPU use. Really terrible support experience.

PG2003
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just a quick note to add me to the list of Mac users that would like to see a M1 native Dropbox app.

NonSoliCedit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here!  Dropbox...wake up!  M1's are selling like hotcakes!  What other laptop will have 20 hour battery life anytime soon?

engfabioroberto
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Estou esperando essa atualização pois gostaria de utilizar o Dropbox no Windows no Parallels  M1

applem1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Drop box is a memory hog on my brand new Apple Macbook Pro M1. It's the only important app I'm using that still runs under emulation and is not native. After many years of being a fan, I started looking around for alternatives as there is no roadmap of getting an ARM native solution that is more efficient. 

The main Dropbox process is taking up 1,2GB of RAM when it is doing nothing, and look at how many other subprocesses!

applem1_1-1618054922047.png

Jan-Luca Cordes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I dont know about the audience that Dropbox is targeting but just because of the fact that more product pictures are presented with the „macos style of things“ i‘d say that mac users are more important to dropbox than windows users. Why doesnt dropbox just add m1 support then? Shouldnt it be easy to do with an update of xcode?

All the „problems of rosetta 2“ put aside, users that actually need a service like dropbox need a long term perspective and solution. Rosetta 2, as Rosetta (1) was aswell, is just meant to be a temporary solution. It should help with the transition to apple silicon macs. What is isnt or shouldnt be is a method to straight up ignore the technology change. Apple said on WWDC 2020 that the transition to apple silicon should take up to two years. One of these years is close being over (after presenting it in june 2020), any compamies including google, microsoft and many more already made the change but nothing can be heard of dropbox other than the fact that they „Dont know yet“.

Dear Dropbox team, please wake up and realize that M1 support is needed for a lot of people, therefore customers but also future customers. And presenting your product with no native support and no big and official statement is not the way a large dompamy hould comunicate with their audience.

SamHalperin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I guess I don't have the ire or sense of entitlement of the other messages in this thread, but I still would like to register my interest in an M1 port.  

SH

CursedVerses
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Registering my interest for an M1-Native version of Dropbox here too.

Daniel_Dosen
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Please let customers know what Dropbox's plans are for native support for M1 macs.  

THUB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It would be great if Dropbox would somehow communicate their strategy of natively supporting Apple Silicon.

Even box.com has made an announcement recently ...

Need more support?