cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync'd files not being removed from Source after deleting them on the destination.

Sync'd files not being removed from Source after deleting them on the destination.

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4

I have been testing my dropbox syncing results.  Last night I sync'd 8 GB of files (8 files total) from one pc (source) to another (destination).   The next morning (today) after making sure they were good to go, then I deleted them from the destination pc but a few hours later I see they are still on the source.   I checked "View Sync Issues" menu.  It says "No issues".   Is there some other logging that I can view to see why they didn't get removed from the source?  The internet connections at both are stable and both pc's were connected when I removed the files from the destination pc. (I was anydesked into both PCs at the time of the deletion so there was no connectivity issues)   The PC's are on different Internet connections, so its not a Lan Sync issue.  Both internet connections are high speed.   

I have checked whats available in Preferences, I don't see anything that suggests it won't remove source files. 

I had used dropbox in the past and when files were removed on the destination pc they were almost immediately removed from the source pc, so I was expecting this to work the same. 

-Bill

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Bill C.42, let's jump right into this! 

Would you mind checking online, and let me know if the files are removed from the account there? If they are, then the destination PC works exactly like it should.

Can you also clarify the syncing status on both of those devices? Are they both up-to-date? 

You might also want to take a look at this Help Center article. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4

All the files are still shown on the website.  No sync issues on the destination pc listed.   It still says there are 7gb of files, so it must be seeing that from the website.  -Bill

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking @Bill C.42!

If you can still see the files in the website, that means that the source device is syncing as it should, and the destination one isn't. Just to make sure we're on the same page, were these files in your Dropbox folder? 

If you access your folder, are they removed from there? When you say that there are 7GB  of files, where do you see that? Is it on the app's syncing status?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4

Yes,  I know the source was syncing correctly as the files got synced to the destination just fine.  The problem occurred after I deleted the files in the destination dropbox folder the deletions didn't sync.  They still show in the source and on the website. 

There are no sync errors that I can find on either end.    Is there other logging, or can I enable debug logging? 

I see the 7 gb of files in the source DB folder, 0 gb or close to that as there are other DB misc files and folders. 

The DB desktop app on the source & destination PC says I am using 7gb of storage.  

I looked at your help article.  I quit the app on both pc's like it said.  That did nothing, the files are still in the source and website. 

Enabling Debug logging would be helpful.  -Bill

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Bill C.42, what is the current status of the Dropbox desktop application on the destination PC? Is it up to date, or syncing?

Just to be certain, are the files definitely deleted from the destination PC?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4

what is the current status of the Dropbox desktop application on the destination PC?   They both say the files are up to date.

Is it up to date, or syncing?

Just to be certain, are the files definitely deleted from the destination PC?  Yes, i personally deleted them from the destination.  They are still not on the destination.   I have logged back into that destination machine at least 5 times since this morning and just checked again.  The files are still deleted.  And they are still showing on the source.  

Are you folks suggesting there aren't ways to create troubleshooting logs?   I was going to upgrade, but if there isn't debug logging for troubleshooting I will probably have to look for another solution.  -Bill  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Bill C.42, this is quite a strange issue indeed.

If you haven't already, can you also restart both computers, to see if that helps at all?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Bill C.42
Explorer | Level 4

I had already done that, prior to getting on this board.  I just did it again.  Deleted a file from the destination.  I was NOT removed from the source.  Did the opposite, and deleted one from the source, it was immediately removed from the destination.  Without real logging to help figure out why its not working I have starting to look for another solution. We have made no progress in a week.   -Bill

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Please could you attach a screenshot showing your files on the destination PC (where a file was deleted), and the files as they appear on the website in the same location, showing the file not being deleted from there.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Bill C.42 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?