cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox App - Preferences Window has been updated AND IT'S SO SLOW.

Dropbox App - Preferences Window has been updated AND IT'S SO SLOW.

Contoured_TL
Helpful | Level 6

The format/layout of the dropbox app Preferences window has apparently been updated and rolled out to users behind the scenes.  This update "looks" better, but the performance is absolutely terrible.  We have near 100TB of storage on Dropbox and are unable to function without the use of the SELECTIVE SYNC feature.  It used to be quick to go into preferences, sync, selective sync, then select the folders you wanted to see on your computer.  The steps are the same with this update, but each of these steps takes at least 5x as long to populate the preview panes after clicking a folder.  This is unacceptable Dropbox.  Every couple of months we're back here with support tickets trying to unbreak something.

13 Replies 13

Contoured_TL
Helpful | Level 6

Are you saying that because my company houses so much data with Dropbox, we will consistently experience poorer performance from your desktop app?  Please know that the effectiveness of your desktop app is directly linked to the effectiveness of our staff.  We have used selective sync as long as it has been a feature.  Having our entire library synced (online only) results in a perpetual state of the app "syncing" due to so many files consistently being updated.  Even when files are "online only", whenever a change is made the app still needs to sync the change.  

Also, we've had over 300k files for many years.  This desktop app performance issue has only been an issue since your rollout of the updated layout/interface for Preferences.  We have had many other issues to be sure, but this particular one is new.  So the +300k files being the cause of the issue was not an issue before.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Contoured_TL, would you mind if I created a ticket on my end for you, in order for us to have a closer look internally? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Contoured_TL
Helpful | Level 6

Please do.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Just did @Contoured_TL!

I'll see you there, thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Contoured_TL Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?