cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to switch OS from Windows to Linux - will my Dropbox files be safe?

I want to switch OS from Windows to Linux - will my Dropbox files be safe?

msu69er
New member | Level 2

I have a very old desktop PC currently running Windows 10 with Dropbox.  It cannot be upgraded to Windows 11.  I am thinking of changing the operating system to Linux Mint. 

What happens to my Dropbox files if I do this? 

Is Dropbox compatible with Linux?   If so, what version?

Are all my files retained in the Dropbox cloud (since the old computer will be reformatted)?

I also have a laptop running Windows 10 with Dropbox.  If I change the desktop OS to Linux, what will happen to my Dropbox files on the laptop?

You can tell that I am a neophyte here so I am appreciative of all the help I can get.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome aboard our forum, @msu69er! Hope you’re well. 

First off, I’d like to mention that your Dropbox files are safe on our servers and your online account, so you don’t need to worry about this. 

Before switching OS on your computer(s), I’d suggest making sure all of your files have synced on www.dropbox.com and your Dropbox app is up to date. After that, you can log out/unlink your Dropbox app, and proceed with your OS update.

As for installing Dropbox on Linux, feel free to check out this Help Center article for all the necessary info. Keep in mind though that there are specific system requirements that are currently supported on LInux (for more info, check out this page).

In general, upon reinstalling the Dropbox app on a formatted device, it will re-sync everything you have saved on www.dropbox.com.

Let me know, if you need more help though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome aboard our forum, @msu69er! Hope you’re well. 

First off, I’d like to mention that your Dropbox files are safe on our servers and your online account, so you don’t need to worry about this. 

Before switching OS on your computer(s), I’d suggest making sure all of your files have synced on www.dropbox.com and your Dropbox app is up to date. After that, you can log out/unlink your Dropbox app, and proceed with your OS update.

As for installing Dropbox on Linux, feel free to check out this Help Center article for all the necessary info. Keep in mind though that there are specific system requirements that are currently supported on LInux (for more info, check out this page).

In general, upon reinstalling the Dropbox app on a formatted device, it will re-sync everything you have saved on www.dropbox.com.

Let me know, if you need more help though.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

msu69er
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the rapid response.  I will backup my diles and be sure that the app is up to date.   I feel more confident with this move following your response.  Have a great day!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Glad I could help! Don’t hesitate to ping me for anything else and have a wonderful day, as well!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    msu69er New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?