cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app won't open in Mac Big Sur, stuck on "starting".

Desktop app won't open in Mac Big Sur, stuck on "starting".

Sheldon L
Explorer | Level 3

I never had a problem before. The desktop app now gets stuck while opening. I wiped all related files from the app and reinstalled. No change. I made sure I had nothing blocked from internet access, and gave full disk access to dropbox in my security prefs. No change. The app just says "Starting" and never goes further. Preferences in the app tell me I'm signed in. I don't use a LAN or Proxy. Any advice?

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sheldon L, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you confirm the version of the Dropbox desktop application you're running? You can do this by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar. 

Also, Is there a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

I'll be waiting for your reply! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sheldon L
Explorer | Level 3

I don't use a proxy, turned off VPN, don't use a firewall, disabled my security software, and haven't changed my ISP/router. Everything was working fine a few weeks ago when I last used it (and always has been). Does the latest version work with Big Sur 11.7.10? After download and reinstall (today) I'm clearly using the latest version.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sheldon L, the Dropbox desktop application should still be compatible with your OS at this time.

How long have you kept the app running to see if it gets past the 'Starting' stage?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sheldon L
Explorer | Level 3

I left the app running up to an hour. It never started. I've always had my app set to automatically upgrade. What has changed in the last month? Is there a previous version I could try?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report. We're currently experiencing issues with the Dropbox desktop application, and are working on a fix at this time.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sheldon L
Explorer | Level 3

It would have been nice if I was told that in the beginning instead of making me think that I did something wrong and running me around in circles.  I haven't used the dropbox app for about a month. How long has this problem existed?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sheldon L Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?