cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app requests admin password on macOS

Desktop app requests admin password on macOS

stairjoke
Helpful | Level 5

Years ago I stopped using Dropbox, because it kept insisting that I enter my admin password for my Mac into a fake looking dialog box. Now I had to re-install it, because a customer insists on using Dropbox. This issue still persists: When signing into my macOS user account, Dropbox pops up a dialog asking me to hand over admin privileges, providing me with a vague reason. I always deny that and I will continue to refuse entering my password.

How do I stop Dropbox from asking?

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @stairjoke, thanks for joining our Community.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the pop-up, so we can have a visual?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

stairjoke
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

sorry about the delay, the password prompt only seems to show every couple of reboots, today it showed again — I declined again. This dialog box just gives the reason "for Dropbox to work properly." There is no explanation what the app will do with the admin privileges, or how to take these away in the future.

It feels very sketchy and untrustworthy, and it feels like a security risk. No other app asks for what is the equivalent of a signed blank cheque. I would like to use Dropbox, but if this is what I need to give up in order to do so, I won’t use it.

Here is the dialog box that pops up:

Screenshot of a dialog box showing the Dropbox logo and asking for an administrators password.Screenshot of a dialog box showing the Dropbox logo and asking for an administrators password.

P.S: Downloading files in your Web-App using Safari doesn’t work. Hasn’t worked in a long time. I always have to use Firefox or Chrome to download files from Dropbox.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @stairjoke, in general, the Dropbox desktop app requires admin privileges, so that functionalities like syncing icons and right-click context menus may appear in your local Dropbox folder (you can also check this Help Center article). 

As for the issue you’re having on your Safari browser, I’d be more than happy to look into it, if you want me to.

Can you clarify what’s the browser version Safari is running, as well as the average size of files you’re usually trying to download? If you use an incognito window on your Safari browser, does the issue persist?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

stairjoke
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

ok, so I just uninstalled the App again, because none of the reasons you gave warrant asking for an admin password. There are APIs for that.

I’ve been having the described issue in Safari for about six months, so with many versions and multiple macOS versions. The files are sometimes tiny TXT files and sometimes huge MOV files. It simply doesn’t work at all.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

stairjoke Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?