cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot access Dropbox.com on any web browser

Cannot access Dropbox.com on any web browser

ab95
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Title says it all, I cannot access the website. I tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge. So I thought it's my network. Turns out I can reach it just fine on my phone! So I turned off my Firewall, still to no avail. What the hell could this be?

The error message also doesn't say much. Most browsers say something along the lines of "Unable to connect" or ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, and tell me to check my internet connection (works fine), turn off my Firewall (already done), or disable a proxy (not using any).

I really need to access Dropbox because my professor posts lecture videos on it. I hope I can receive help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ab95
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found the solution! I will share it to let others know what it was. It was really **bleep**ty thing.

Turns out dropbox.com was listed in the 'hosts' file. After I deleted it from there, it worked. Here's what to do (only works if this is the root of the problem):
Open Notepad as Administrator (otherwise it doesn't work). Then from Notepad navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc  , then make sure that Explorer is set to "All files (.)", otherwise it won't see the hosts file. After this it should become visible in this folder, then open it. Now it's open in Notepad. Now search for all entries containing dropbox.com, delete them all, and save the file.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the hell did dropbox.com ever end up in that file...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You dont have things like Little Snitch installed do you? 

What happens if you connect your phone to the network that your computer is on (if possible?)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ab95
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
So the forums work on my laptop, until I wanted to reply you and it threw me right off again. So now I'm back on my phone and it loads Dropbox.com just fine, and yes that's on the same Wifi network (mobile data turned off just in case).
I didn't know what Little Snitch was and no I don't have it installed. I also cannot think of any other apps that could do something like this.

ab95
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found the solution! I will share it to let others know what it was. It was really **bleep**ty thing.

Turns out dropbox.com was listed in the 'hosts' file. After I deleted it from there, it worked. Here's what to do (only works if this is the root of the problem):
Open Notepad as Administrator (otherwise it doesn't work). Then from Notepad navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc  , then make sure that Explorer is set to "All files (.)", otherwise it won't see the hosts file. After this it should become visible in this folder, then open it. Now it's open in Notepad. Now search for all entries containing dropbox.com, delete them all, and save the file.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the hell did dropbox.com ever end up in that file...

Bentley Media
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You have just saved my sanity....

I had this issues for 3 years, and no dropbox customer support or forum could help me!

Thank you so much

KIINGOFTHESWIING
New member | Level 2

Thank You so much!!! This worked perfectly for me. Fixed a 6 month problem in 1 minute! I am so happy and grateful!

Need more support?