cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sign in to Dropbox app on Mac despite correct password

Can't sign in to Dropbox app on Mac despite correct password

axe
Helpful | Level 5

I am trying to connect to a Dropbox Team account on a MacBook Air running macOS Mojave. There is already a private Dropbox account which works correctly on the computer. When I try to sign in to the Team account and I enter the account password I am left at the login window with the square Dropbox logo icon with the moving lines. The lines keep moving as though something is happening, but after a long time the window just disappears without signing me in to the Team account. I have done the full erase and reinstall of the Dropbox app (deleting ~/.dropbox, etc.) with no change in the behavior - the private Dropbox account works fine, the Team account hangs while authenticating. When I sign in to the Team account on the computer using a web browser it works fine, so I know the password is correct. Neither the private nor the business account use 2FA, so that is not an issue. In the website account settings under Security I can also see that the computer becomes "linked" while the login window is hung. I can unlink the computer, quit Dropbox, and try to sign in again with the Team account and the computer again becomes linked but without ever completely signing in or completing setup on the computer. The Team Dropbox folder never appears in ~, though the private Dropbox folder was created with no issue. I can manually create a folder in ~ with the expected name and that also works fine, so I don't think it's a filesystem permissions issue. How can I diagnose this further?

22 Replies 22

axe
Helpful | Level 5

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 11.35.01.png

axe
Helpful | Level 5

Then it will stay like this for a long time - many minutes. Eventually the window disappears but I am still not signed in to the Team account, although the computer then appears as linked on dropbox.com

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info. Could you check to see how many devices you have currently connected on your account from this page? If you could also see this info for your personal account as well, that would help.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

axe
Helpful | Level 5

For the business account one device is listed, this MacBook Air computer (despite the Dropbox app reporting the computer as not signed in).

For the personal account there are two devices. This computer and a smartphone (Android).

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for this info, @axe! Our team is currently looking into this, and they’ll update you as soon as possible in this thread.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

axe
Helpful | Level 5

Any progress? Can we at least get our money back if your service doesn't work?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @axe, happy Monday and sorry for the delay.

If you're still facing issues with that, can I then send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look together? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sherryspies4
New member | Level 2

I'm seeing the EXACT same issue on my macbook pro - logged into the Dropbox app for my business account but it won't allow me to switch to my personal account. Accounts are linked, and I'm able to login successfully online with no issue. Just won't allow me to switch user accounts on my computer. Brings up the same login screen and locks up while trying to login. Clearly there is an issue.

sherryspies4
New member | Level 2

I'm experiencing the exact same issue - not able to switch to a personal account on my computer - The login screen displays exactly as noted above, but it will NOT log in. Spinning hourglass just never stops. I'm able to use the web version no problem.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sherryspies4, welcome to our Community! 

As a first step, can you clarify the OS you're using on your Macbook? How long has this been happening? 

Also, if I were you, I'd try uninstalling the app, and then re-installing it. Can you give this a go?

Let me know of any updates!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

axe Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    sherryspies4 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?