cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access PAPER from my laptop

Can't access PAPER from my laptop

maralina
Explorer | Level 4

Since late May 2024, I’ve been unable to access my Dropbox PAPER account from my laptop (a MacBook Pro), though I can read and edit from my iPad and iPhone.

But on my laptop I get a message (see screenshot below) saying that I’ve signed out and must sign back in.

I requested help from Google (see below), thinking it was a login/password issue. I wrote:

“When I try to launch PAPER to continue work on a document, I get a message that I've SIGNED OUT and must SIGN BACK IN. But when I try to sign in again, I get another message saying there have been TOO MANY REDIRECTS, and that I need to CLEAR COOKIES and/or my Browser Cache. I cleared some cookies, and I had already cleared my Browser Cache 3 days ago, on Sun 5/26.
I am following instructions but my problem is not being solved. PLEASE HELP!”

Their response was to tell me that question has been posted to the “Google Chrome Community”. and most questions get a reply within 24 hours. I’d get an email notification when that happened, I was told . BUT I NEVER GOT ANYTHING.

This happened 3 months ago in late May 2024— today, I just tried again to access my PAPER account and the same thing happened, with the same message .

Note, I had already cleared my cookies on May 26 (3 days before the problem arose), so I really don’t think that is the issue.

Please can you help me with this issue?

maralina

PS: I use the free version (DROPBOX Basic) — signed up for Dropbox on 11/20/13.

And I set up my PAPER account on 6/19/18.

The total space on my free version of Dropbox is 5.75 GB. I am currently using 4.37 GB of that

My laptop is a Macbook Pro running on Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6)

maralina_0-1724465056426.png

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

What version of Chrome are you using as well as Mac OSX @maralina ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

maralina
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark,

The version of Chrome that I'm using is (I think):
Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (x86_64)

My computer is running on Mac OS Mojave v. 10.14.6

You didn't ask, but it's a MacBook Pro (15 inch, mid-2012).
Hope Ive given enough info to help me figure this out...

I attach a screenshot of the Google Chrome info:

maralina_1-1724616422919.png

Mark
Super User II

They do help thanks!

I suspect, unfortunately, that as the error from Chrome itself says your version of the OS and Chrome is too old to work with the site. 

Dropbox only states it works on new and supported versions of browsers - however Chrome 116 was released in August 2023 and so is very old and insecure now I'm afraid.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

maralina
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark— thanks for your answer from earlier this week, and I apologize for my late reply. I understand what you’re saying — that my browser/Mac OS is too old for the current DROPBOX. But I still want to find a workaround.

My situation is this: my MacBook Pro’s is running on OS 10.14.6 — and the reason I’m hanging on to it is that I use Photoshop CS6, which is the last standalone version of PS sold as a one-time purchase. I do not want to go onto Adobe’s SUBSCRIPTION Plan, as CS6 suits my needs just fine. However, if I upgrade to the next OS (Catalina, aka Mac OS 10.15), my laptop will no longer compatible with Photoshop CS6. (though it'll be compatible with Dropbox).

So is there a WORKAROUND?

Maybe there is another browser I could try — one that is compatible with both Mac OS 10.14.6 as well as Dropbox’s requirements (for laptop/desktop— especially for PAPER).

Could you suggest another browser I might try? 

Your help/insight is much appreciated!

maralina

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

maralina Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?