cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I install and run Dropbox from a bootable USB with OS that loads into RAM?

Can I install and run Dropbox from a bootable USB with OS that loads into RAM?

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

I'd like to install and run Dropbox from a bootable usb for portabilit with and operating system that loads into ram for speed a here is a list of possibilities.  Can dropbox run on any of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions_that_run_from_RAM#Table

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LANdpLAN, thanks for posting to our Community.

The system requirements for you to install and run Dropbox on a Linux OS are actually very specific.

You can find them here.

I hope this clarifies things, but if you have any questions, let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

Unfortunatewlly I'm not familiar enoough with those dependencies and the available linux disdtributions satify them to decide what to do.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@LANdpLAN, As seems, you haven't read carefully enough your Puppy Linux install guide - especially in partitions note. There can be seen some of the supported FSes by Puppy Linux... Wow 🙂 One of them coexists in supported by Dropbox list too - ext4. Just be more careful when setting up your system. 🙋 That's it.

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

I used ext4 during setup for the save file partition. The root folder options were only fat32.  Unless I missunderstood I don't know how to put the root onto an ext4 fs.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@LANdpLAN, I don't know what exactly you have done, but according your post in the previous thread where you asked for the same, it was neither ext4 nor fat32. 🤷 Check again if you have some doubts.

By the way, it's never good idea to run client applications (like Dropbox application, but not only) as root, as you have tried. Better do this on normal client context. To avoid confusion, this is not something mandatory and not a source of your issue, just a good practice (better security).

LANdpLAN
Explorer | Level 3

I'm learning what these things are.  Is Ubuntu and Fedora different operating systems or do I need Ubuntu and Fedora?

• Ubuntu 18.04 or later
  • 64-bit systems only
  • Fedora 28 or later
  • Glibc 2.27 or later
  • The latest Dropbox app for Linux

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@LANdpLAN wrote:

...  Is Ubuntu and Fedora different operating systems or do I need Ubuntu and Fedora? ...

Hi @LANdpLAN,

Hm..🤔 Yes, for sure, interesting question! Are Windows 10  and Windows 11 different OSes or are Mac Sonoma and Mac Ventura different OSes? 🧐 Also, is OpenBSD different than FreeBSD? 🤷 Many other similar examples are possible.

I'll let you decide what's the correct answer for every one particular case. 🙂 For sure the person who wrote the help topic cited by you has to learn a lot like you do. Unfortunately, this is not the only such help topic in Dropbox documentation. Be careful and don't believe fully to everything - help is written by people - people make mistakes. Use your own intelligence in such cases to decide what is correct. 😉

Congratulations for the meaningful question that hits a pain of people responsible to Dropbox docs. 😁

Need more support?