cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I avoid Dropbox for macOS on File Provider on my new computer?

Can I avoid Dropbox for macOS on File Provider on my new computer?

bsmcs
Explorer | Level 3

I have dropbox v189.4.8427 on my Imac (catalina OS).  If I get a new Imac (M3 chip) can I still use my current version of dropbox?  I'd rather not update to the newest version of dropbox (Dropbox for macOS on File Provider) as there seem to be issues with it.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@bsmcs wrote:

From your description then, am I correct that I would not be able to use an older (my current) version of dropbox?  

Even if you install an older version, it would likely auto-update to the newer version if your system supports it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bsmcs! Thanks for posting your question here. 

If your new device is using an OS version of macOS 12.5 and later, it’s quite possible that the Dropbox for macOS on File Provider update will be installed indeed.

You can also see more details here

I'll be here, if you need something else though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bsmcs
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the quick reply.  Yes, new device will be an Imac with M3 chip (Sonoma OS).   From your description then, am I correct that I would not be able to use an older (my current) version of dropbox?  

Rich
Super User II

@bsmcs wrote:

From your description then, am I correct that I would not be able to use an older (my current) version of dropbox?  

Even if you install an older version, it would likely auto-update to the newer version if your system supports it.

steve626
Explorer | Level 3

If you don't want to use the latest version of Dropbox, I think your only option with the new computer is to use Dropbox only through the web interface.

bsmcs
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you!  Appreciate the help.

bsmcs
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion about the web.

ZarzaurAdmin
Explorer | Level 3

Unless you have not-Apple devices you also need to connect and share your files with, I might recommend just moving to iCloud Drive. They offer storage capacities up to 12TB now.

Need more support?