cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTRL + clicking & Other opening new tab functions not working

CTRL + clicking & Other opening new tab functions not working

Delanoble
Explorer | Level 3

I am using the web version and since a week i cant middle scrollwheel click anything anymore to open it in a new tab. CTRL + Left mouse click is also quite broken. This really ruins my workflow and makes it annoying to navigate and work with more tabs open. Any fix to this? Is this a setting or a bug? Or a ''new'' functionality thing?

20 Replies 20

Rich
Super User II

@Delanoble wrote:

I am using the web version and since a week i cant middle scrollwheel click anything anymore to open it in a new tab. CTRL + Left mouse click is also quite broken.

Still working fine for me. I'd clear your browser's cache/browsing history and try again, or try another browser.

Delanoble
Explorer | Level 3

Still not working, also not working in other browers and even on other laptop/pc.

Its like a dropbox update broke it.

I want to use CTRL + Left click to open a new tab or use my middle scroll mouse click to open a new one.

It only pops up a scroll wheel option when doing the latter one. 

It still works fine on all other websites.

Rich
Super User II

@Delanoble wrote:

It only pops up a scroll wheel option when doing the latter one.

That would normally mean you're not clicking on the actual link, but just a non-clickable portion of the web page. I've tried on multiple browsers and it's still working as expected to me.

Delanoble
Explorer | Level 3

Nope!

Its on the clickable folders. 

Ive worked with the dropbox web version for 5+ years now so I do know what I am talking about.

Its a chance made on dropbox's end couple weeks ago.I just want to open dropbox folders etc easily. The rightclick open in tab is so slow/takes way more clicks and is horrible to use when I need to open a lot of tabs.

ctrl + click or middle mouse wheel click takes one click so i really want to get that function back.. 

It still works on some parts of the web version in the top but not on the folders/list.

CanGrad S.
New member | Level 2

Also having this issue, running Firefox 107.0 . Previously, I was able to middle-click folders and they would open in new tabs, which follows the same standard that web browsers have been using for decades.

Now, middle-clicking will go right into the folder, as if I'd left clicked. Instead of a single mouse button to get a tab open, the process is now:

1. right-click folder

2. move mouse up or down to the "Open In" sub menu

3. wait for the popup

4. click "open in new tab"

5. switch back to the tab i was just in, because opening a new tab this way also switches to it, despite my browser being set to *not* switch tabs when I open them

Four more actions and several more seconds added to my workflow, multiplied by however many folders I need to work with. This has already wasted an hour of real time.

Devs, I beg you, revert this change

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Delanoble & @CanGrad S., sorry to jump in here, but would it be OK if we reach out via email to investigate further?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

CanGrad S.
New member | Level 2

Hi @Walter ,

You can email use, but the email associated with this account goes to a few people, so please mention in the subject line & body that the message needs to be forwarded to J. D. It'll get to me and I'll follow up from there

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sure thing @CanGrad S. - you've got :envelope: 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Delanoble
Explorer | Level 3

Sure!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    dtrn Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?