cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

Edward_Teach
Explorer | Level 4
I will be very surprised if a) anyone on the Dropbox team bothers to respond b) they make the change requested (yes, I did up vote it though!) We seem to be in the era of software where compiles don't care about user opinions much. They know even with all the threats to leave, people won't so they don't care. They make somewhat random changes for the sole purpose of "keeping things fresh" and that's too bad really...

feelie75
Explorer | Level 4

Agreed!! Just noticed the weird icon and then a memo notification from Dropbox from an hour ago about the checkbox. What?? So here I am, first time to these forums, because of this change. Crazy. Keep posting until they fix it before it gets rolled out to everyone!

zackehrlich
New member | Level 2

Yes I agree, it was a bad choice to get rid of the green check mark.  I found it so easy and comforting whenever I looked over and saw I was fully synced!  Now I need to use my deductive reasoning to compare the shade of the icon to surrounding icons to make sure it's synced... that's just stressful.  And the icon just blends in without color.  I have to scan for it with my eyes in the middle of working.  It's actually really annoying.

I don't want to switch cloud storage companies.  Just add some color back to the synced icon.  Put a green square around it, or a big smiley face, doesn't matter...How complicated is that?!

Thank you.

Norb
Explorer | Level 4

Corporate branding is increasingly ruining the end user experience. Just ask anyone on Android how the enjoy using an OS that is designed to look like the Google homepage. Can you change it? Sort of but not completely.

I share everyones frustration here. Dropbox has looked like this on mac OS for a while. I'm guessing they're "unifying their brand identity" or some such marketing horsesh*t.

I wouldn't expect this feedback to have any effect on their decision.

auzhost
Helpful | Level 6

Just to add my 2 cents worth.

I agree totally with basically all the other complaints about this icon also.

Bring back the Green Tick.

IMHO it's totally stupid to have removed it. I know can olny tell the difference as to whether offline or what is going on by at least having to move my mouse over the icon.

Absolutely DUMMASS move.

Between this stupidity and the fact you have never fixed the Auto syncing issues on the android phones for around 12- 18 months now, I am seariously considering not renewing my subscription next time and not recommending to anyone else anymore. Enough is enough!!
PUT SOME BRAIN POWER BEHIND YOUR MOVES!!

UsuallyConfused
Helpful | Level 6

Did anyone see the message in the system try icon? Mine says the message came 16 minutes ago. I think the notification was great, but NOW they tell me the icon is changing??? Duh, isn't it a little late?

I reccommend everyone click on the "Learn more" link in the message, then say "No" to the page being helpful, and add your comments there. I just did. 

Hopefully, Dropbox will hear us better that way.

lpmesquita
Explorer | Level 4

@CSX321 I did that too, but it didn't work.

I open an old version of dropbox.exe in Resource Hacker

Then, I've extracted the icon from resource 201.

After that, I open the current version of dropbox.exe with Resouce Hacker and replaced the resoucer 201 with the icon preciously exported. And saved it..but it didnt work. can you send me you .exe file via e-mail, pls? or help me get it done?

my e-mail is lpmesquita@gmail.com

Thank you so much.

BigOzzy
New member | Level 2

Yeah, stupid decision on behalf of the Dropbox design team. This checkmark should be an optional thing in the "Preferences".

auzhost
Helpful | Level 6

Just to add my 2 cents worth.

I agree totally with basically all the other complaints about this icon also. Bring back the Green Tick. IMHO it's totally stupid to have removed it.

I know can only tell the difference as to whether offline or what is going on by at least having to move my mouse over the icon.

Absolutely a DUMMASS move. Between this stupidity and the fact you have never fixed the Auto syncing issues on the android phones for around 12- 18 months now, I am seriously considering not renewing my subscription next time and not recommending Dropbox to anyone else anymore. Enough is enough!! PUT SOME BRAIN POWER BEHIND YOUR MOVES!!

dser
Explorer | Level 4

What a dumb idea to remove the green check mark on the tray bar icon -- like you don't have anything to fix or improve! A waste of time and resources to "fix" something that was working perfect.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wowtah Helpful | Level 6
    jopothai Helpful | Level 5
    nei a. Experienced | Level 11
    MatG-DK Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?