cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

RichardKLee
Explorer | Level 4

I also want the Green Icon back!  It's much easier to identify the status of the dropbox.  The previous icons shows more contrast, easy to tell.  The new icons are confusing and always made me think my dropbox is offline, I always have to click on it to double check, which is wasting of my time.  Whoever came up of this idea and whoever approve it should really consider to go to a class called "common sense 101". 

#BringBackTheGreenTick

RichardKLee
Explorer | Level 4

I registered this community only to do this one thing:

Please DropBox - Bring back the GREEN TICK  !White check mark

#BringBackTheGreenTick

Mailman
New member | Level 2

Yeah, I read the geek blurb after the fact, including the defenders here (company shills?) who claim it's not a bug.  Well, maybe from a coder's POV.  From a design POV and DB's users' POV, it's an incredibly poor decision to change a GUI semaphore from its traditional green check mark, easily spotted, to where we now must decide if the icon is "faded."

"Faded."

"Faded" now means not all our files are sync'd.  I'd lmao if it wasn't such a stupid decision.

RichardKLee
Explorer | Level 4

Some people have color blindness, or visual impairment. How can they tell the depth of the color? How do you determine "fade"? This is really a very selfish, no empathy, no common sense design. It's a very wrong decision!

A Green Check Mark is very easy to tell, high contrast in color, easy to recognize shape for those have visial impariment or difficulties. Bring it back!

Please DropBox - Bring back the GREEN TICK  !

#BringBackTheGreenTick

GregAmy
Helpful | Level 7

Kinda reminds me what they do on commercials airliners: when the landing gear is down and safe, it’s a white light. When the gear is not down and it’s *unsafe*, it’s a dimmer shade of white light.

Oh, wait a sec, no they don’t actually do that. That’s because that would be bad user interface design.

White and grey are not binary colors. They’re shades of grey. Shades are not acceptable UI design for binary conditions. Whether your files are synced are not is a binary condition.

Ergo...

pdc77
Explorer | Level 4

Can't believe I'm writing a post to get a green tick back on an icon in a system tray - but bring it back please, or at least give an option to bring it back for people who want it!

Makes me feel comfortable and at peace that Dropbox has synced up all my stuff when i see it

dragonfire67
Explorer | Level 4

Bring it back! Bring it back!

Put everything back the way they were!

The green check mark was easy to understand. With only a glimpse I could see that everything was ok.

Now it looks Dropbox is offline.

Why, Oh, why is it that you think it is necessary to fix a perfectly working system?

dragonfire67
Explorer | Level 4

White check mark

Amadan
New member | Level 2

Removing the green check mark was a poor, poor design choice. I really don't see the need for this change. But if the goal has been to confuse people, then indeed: mission complished!

Please bring back the green check mark

wt7223
Explorer | Level 4

The meaning of a green check is universal and easily understood. Anywhere you see it, it always means all is good. The new mystery icon not an improvement. It is nearly impossible with a quick glance to distinguish between a normal icon or a "faded" icon. The only certain way to know the status is to hover the mouse over the icon and wait for the pop up message -- more time and work.

Unfortunately for us, the trend in UI design for the last several years is to make everything more difficult for the users in favor what some designer thinks looks cool on the screen. Dropbox has jumped on this bandwagon. Blank space is good. Easy navigation and plainly visible information are bad.

Has Dropbox stated any good reason why it was taken away? "To bring the client in-line with all the other Dropbox clients" is corporate speak BS. What other clients? I use Windows and Linux, and both had green checks until just recently.

Well, let's hope they don't take away the green check on folders and files,too. Then we will REALLY have no way to know whether our files are synced!

Please Dropbox, bring back the green check. It was a good idea when Dropbox first started; it is still a good idea today.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wowtah Helpful | Level 6
    jopothai Helpful | Level 5
    nei a. Experienced | Level 11
    MatG-DK Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?