cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

GothKittyLady
Explorer | Level 4

Nice job, thanks CSX321. I just have to change the paths to Win10 locations and I think it will work.

tMt
Explorer | Level 4

**bleep**... not working for me 😞

Changed the path, everything went smooth but the icon is still without the tick 😞

CSX321
Helpful | Level 5

The only other thing I can think of to try, is to change the 201 in line 3 of my script to 101 instead. Both of those icons look the same in the original file. Changing only 201 works on my system, but maybe your machine's configuration uses 101 for some reason.

Also, I'm pretty sure the icon resources in the executable are only used for U.S. English. If your OS language is set to something else, it looks like it may be getting the resources from a separate QuickTime resource file. I didn't find a good tool for editing that on Windows.

tMt
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for a reply.

It seems the Czech OS language might be the culprit.

Well, farewell simple solution 😞

missriaelaine
Explorer | Level 4

This solution is all very well for those running Windows, but what about us Linux users..? Running Fedora 27.

Jeff M.3
Explorer | Level 3

On my Linux Mint and Xubuntu installs I was able to find the icon files for up-to-date and paused mode here:

~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86-38.4.27/images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-idle.png

~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86-38.4.27/images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-logo.png

I noticed that they were identical (no overlays).

Using gimp I painted the *logo one yellow and the *idle one green, and upon restarting the change took effect in the system tray.

So now the logo is yellow when I pause sync, and green when I resume.

I have to backup the modified icons to a separate folder because the entire .dropbox-dist folder gets replaced with each update about once a month.

Edit: I only really need to modify dropboxstatus-idle.png

dropboxstatus-idle.png

Allan G.
Helpful | Level 5
Yes, this worked for me in my Linux setup. I now have a bright green icon when everything is synced. Brilliant! I followed instructions from Madpentiste who described it here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Bring-back-the-green-synced-checkmark-in-the-system-tray-Dro... I saved the instructions as well as the icons to remind me where to find the icons.

GregAmy
Helpful | Level 7

Did not work on my Win10, even when I changed the directory locations.

GothKittyLady
Explorer | Level 4

@GregAmy Unfortunately it didn't for me either - I even used Resource Hacker to just go into Drobox.exe and replace the icons manually, it still didn't work. 

CSX321
Helpful | Level 5

Last night I also tried it with a Windows 10 installation, and it doesn't work there for me, either. Sorry everyone. I guess with Windows 10 it's not using the icon resources in the executable. I've updated the Web page to say the fix only seems work with Windows 7.

Need more support?