cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

JohnMurray
Helpful | Level 6

@RichardKLee I will post on here as soon as I know more.

RichardKLee
Explorer | Level 4

I don't understand why dropbox so stubborn on this thing. So many people dislike, and actually it is a really bad move for elder people and people who have color blindness. All operating systems and smartphones have option to turn on the assistant function by enlarge text size, extreme contrast, even voice assistant, for people who have needs. Dropbox goes exactly backwards; not only people who have need have problem to identify the icon, normal people also got confused.

So many poeple registered a user ID for this forum just to vote the green tick back, yet Dropbox has no official responce or announcement at all.

If they do this just to get traffic on their quiet forum, it was a great success. You win, Dropbox, now please bring the Green Tick back!

#BringBackTheGreenTick

dobetter
Explorer | Level 3

I do not like this change, and I am not comfortable. Bring back the green mark please

Alex_shaydulin
New member | Level 2

Please bring back the Green Checkmark!

steve m.5
Explorer | Level 4
I just want to add my voice to getting the green check-mark back. I've just disconnected the wi-fi and reconnected, and to my eyes the ok & disconnected icons are almost indistinguishable. The green check-mark is an easily-visible and positive indicator, whereas a differently-shaded gray icon is not.

JohnMurray
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Everyone,

I have heard back from dropbox support and have also replied back to them again....

Hi ****,

Thank you for getting back to me and for providing links to these discussions.

The latest version of the application updates the existing Dropbox icon in your system tray to remove the green checkmark that appeared when Dropbox was reporting "Up to Date". This change provides a more consistent experience of the Dropbox icon between different operating systems.

I can understand why there might be some frustration but as I explained in my previous email, the Dropbox system tray icon indicates two clearly different Dropbox states on Windows and Linux as following:

• Fully synced: White Dropbox logo with no other icons on it.
  • Not connected: Grey Dropbox logo with no other icons on it.

Please note that there is not an option to change the Dropbox system tray icon back to the previous version.

For more information, see the following Help Center article:

www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/sync-icons#desktop

I will submit your suggestion as a piece of feedback.

Thank you very much for this feedback. We are always looking for user input when creating the next version of the Dropbox app. I will make sure your comments are passed along to our development team.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Regards,

My Reply:

Hi *******

You seemed to have completely missed the point here. I, like everyone else now knows how the "new icons" display and work - the issue is that myself and by the looks of it, everybody else simply doesn't like the "new look" at all. It doesn't function and is not fit for purpose!

Many people have pointed out on the forum that why change something that worked perfectly well to a new system that clearly doesn't. I am using Windows 10 and the dropbox icon now looks permanently offline to me. It is a white icon, not black and when it is actually offline it dulls only slightly in colour - and I mean slightly.

I still have green ticks on all my folders etc. - the only place you have removed it is on the system tray icon - the one place that everybody uses and likes it.

Interestingly, on the link you provided it says in regards to "files and folders".....

"Synced

A green circle with a check mark is a wonderful thing and what you'll see most often. When it appears on an individual file or folder, it means the file or folder has finished syncing the latest changes."

It's a shame that you don't apply that "wonderful thing" to the system tray icon any longer.

We shouldn't even be discussing this as it's a 'non-issue'. You had a system that worked perfectly well that everybody liked and then you just went ahead and changed it for something that nobody likes - all for some stupid corporate branding nonsense. The only issue that should be on the table, now that it's clear that dropbox users do not like this change is.......... when are you going to bring the green tick back and how long are we going to have to wait? 

I look forward to your response

Regards

#BringBackTheGreenTick

RichardKLee
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All,

I wrote to DropBox support, and this is what I got...  Basically, they don't care.  I am glad that I am not a paid customer. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, 

Thanks for getting in touch! 

Just a quick note to say that we are not offering support via our Sales site. Fear not! We have made sure there are plenty of resources available to help you out. 🙂

For immediate support, visit our Help Center articles on the topic that matches your request at: 

Also, feel free to reach out to our community of users by visiting our Forums at: 

If you're still in trouble, we're here to help. You can reach out to us directly at: 

In addition, if you're an administrator of your Dropbox for Business account, you can reach us directly by using the information in your admin console here:

Many thanks,
The Dropbox Sales Team

JohnMurray
Helpful | Level 6

Hi All,

Well I recieved a reply back from "customer support" and sent them another reply back...... followed by another reply from dropbox and my final response to them.

As you can see below, they are completely ignoring the main issue regarding the green tick and as far as I'm concerned just fobing me off with stock answers and gobbledegook.

It now seems clear to me that dropbox do not care what their customers think and if they did they would at least give us the option to put the green tick back in the next build release. It is only a piece of code and really isn't that hard to do.

They are only concerned with corporate branding and having the icon look the same across all operating systems and devices.

Thanks for nothing, dropbox!

#BringBackTheGreenTick

Hi John,

Thank you for getting back to me and for providing links to these discussions.

The latest version of the application updates the existing Dropbox icon in your system tray to remove the green checkmark that appeared when Dropbox was reporting "Up to Date". This change provides a more consistent experience of the Dropbox icon between different operating systems.

I can understand why there might be some frustration but as I explained in my previous email, the Dropbox system tray icon indicates two clearly different Dropbox states on Windows and Linux as following:

Fully synced: White Dropbox logo with no other icons on it.
Not connected: Grey Dropbox logo with no other icons on it.

Please note that there is not an option to change the Dropbox system tray icon back to the previous version.

For more information, see the following Help Center article:

www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/sync-icons#desktop

I will submit your suggestion as a piece of feedback.

Thank you very much for this feedback. We are always looking for user input when creating the next version of the Dropbox app. I will make sure your comments are passed along to our development team.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Regards,

-------------------------------------

Hi *******

You seemed to have completely missed the point here. I, like everyone
else now knows how the "new icons" display and work - the issue is
that myself and by the looks of it, everybody else simply doesn't like
the "new look" at all. It doesn't function and is not fit for purpose!

Many people have pointed out on the forum that why change something
that worked perfectly well to a new system that clearly doesn't. I am
using Windows 10 and the dropbox icon now looks permanently offline to
me. It is a white icon, not black and when it is actually offline it
dulls only slightly in colour - and I mean slightly.

I still have green ticks on all my folders etc. - the only place you
have removed it is on the system tray icon - the one place that
everybody uses and likes it.

Interestingly, on the link you provided it says in regards to "files
and folders".....

"Synced

A green circle with a check mark is a wonderful thing and what you'll
see most often. When it appears on an individual file or folder, it
means the file or folder has finished syncing the latest changes."

It's a shame that you don't apply that "wonderful thing" to the
system tray icon any longer.

We shouldn't even be discussing this as it's a 'non-issue'. You had a
system that worked perfectly well that everybody liked and then you
just went ahead and changed it for something that nobody likes - all
for some stupid corporate branding nonsense. The only issue that
should be on the table, now that it's clear that dropbox users do not
like this change is.......... when are you going to bring the green
tick back and how long are we going to have to wait?

I look forward to your response

Regards
John

----------------------------------

Hi John,

Thank you for following up!

If you have a white Dropbox icon on Windows then this means all's good and you're up to date.

Unfortunately, It won't be possible to revert to an older app version and get the green checkmark back.

I have, however, submitted your feedback to our development team for consideration.

Finally, if when you're not connected the icon's colour only changes slightly and doesn't turn gray instead, please be so kind as to send me two screenshots; one showing the Dropbox icon when you're up to date, and another screenshot showing the slight change of colour, so I can look into this behaviour.

If you have questions about how to take a screenshot, please see the following:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/take-screen-capture-print-screen

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Regards,

--------------------------------

Hi *******,

There really is no point me sending you screenshots of something that is clearly a backwards step.

The link I sent you of the forum with 18 pages of unhappy dropbox customers should be all you need to know to realise you've made a big mistake by taking away our green tick.

As I said previously; this is corporate branding nonsense with blatant disregard for your customer base.

Regards
John

LehA64
Explorer | Level 4
I am running Dropbox 37.4.29 on Xubuntu 17.04. The Dropbox icon is only showing the blue "Syncing" overlay. There's no difference between "Fully synced", "Paused" and "Not connected" icons. Each one displays white icon on black background, without any overlays. The only way to see the status is to move mouse on the icon to see texts "Up to date", "Paused" or "Connecting". Please restore the overlays!

larrymcg
Helpful | Level 5

Bring back the green synched check mark on the tray icon.

AND bring it back on the individual files in the dropbox.

I think it is important to always show positive feedback.  The green synched check mark and the rotating check mark are positive feedbacks.  The files in the dropbox folder show no feedback when they are synched.  With that kind of approach you can't tell anything about the status.  Mabe they are synched.  Maybe not.  Maybe the dsiplay hasn't updated.  Maybe dropbox isn't responding.  Maybe.....

Get rid of the maybes and provide positive feedback.

-- Larry

Need more support?