cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all t

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

Zottelchen
New member | Level 2

I would also like the symbol back.

Illi-Noize
New member | Level 2

Great idea to make using Dropbox much more complicated... Who had this f******* idea to remove the green tick? WHY? My mother (74 years old) has now no chance to see if all here photos are "save" or not.

Please bring back the green tick ... or an option to set it.

lucianocastro
Explorer | Level 4

Bring the green checkmark back or at least as an option! Thank you

#BringBackTheGreenTick

Customer666
New member | Level 2

PLEASE bring back the green checkmark. At a glance it gave me 100% assurance that my laptop was online AND my files were sync’d. Such a simple visual prompt. So why remove it??? After being a dropbox user for many years I’ve grown accustomed to ‘no checkmark’ meaning bad news – I’m offline because my network is down again, or whatever. Now, whenever I glance at the dropbox icon and see no checkmark, I don’t know whether its bad news or nothing to worry about.  PLEASE bring back the green checkmark. Removing it is a backward step. Let's go forward please - not backwards.

Jacob J.2
Helpful | Level 5

Why on earth would they make such a dumb change and confuse all Dropbox users? Even if we all got used to it, which will take months or years for some slower individuals, it's still a very, very bad decision. It was much more logical the old way with green checkmark. 

This isn't the only thing that made Dropbox harder to use. I won't get into the details, but Dropbox 2-3 years ago was much better than what it became now. The new web GUI sucks too.

Mozzeryguts
New member | Level 2

Registered on the forum solely to voice support for bringing back the green tick.

I'm not sure Dropbox realise that many people used that visual indicator as a sign of their internet connection being good and connected, as well as the obvious indicator the Dropbox files are up to date.

To quote someone on Twitter: "Dropbox, you fixed what wasn't broken. Now it's broken."

Bring it back please! Or as suggested include a toggle option.

RobertHess
Explorer | Level 3

Yup. I vote to bring it back. I like simple, clear visual symbols that tell me that everything is working. Don't ask me to spend time to check if did sync or wind up being surprised that the sync failed.

JohnMurray
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Everyone,

In a post on this thread I mentioned how I had emailed dropbox support to try and find out why my dropbox wasn't working properly and after solving the issue of the missing green tick I then found a few days later that it had gone again, which brought me to this thread and the realisation that it had been done on purpose!

I arrived here on the 19th October, shortly after I had sent a second email to ask why the green tick had vanished again. Well, I have just had a reply from support so I will post it along with my response that I have just sent them.

Hi ****,

Thank you for reaching back out. My name is ******* and I'll be your point of contact in this case from here onward.

According to our records, your computer has been running the latest stable build 37.4.29, since 2017-10-19.

You can find our latest stable and beta releases here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/bd-p/101003016

Please note that the status icon will no longer show a green checkmark; there will be a solid Dropbox icon when everything is fully synced.

Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify further.

Regards,

My reply.....

Hi *******,

I am now aware of the ridiculous decision that dropbox made to get rid of the green tick. Like thousands of other people I have to say that this is on a par with Microsoft's stupidity when they got rid of the much-loved Windows 7 start menu and replaced it with the awful Windows 8 menu.

There can be no rational explanation to why you have done this, none whatsoever, and I hope that unlike Microsoft you reinstate the Green Tick ASAP.

Dropbox looks permanently offline to me and countless others now and whoever is responsible for this ridiculous decision to remove the green tick needs sacking!

Are you aware of this thread on your "community" forum?
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Bring-back-the-green-synced-checkmark-in-the-system-tray-Dro...

And also the Twitter hashtag:
https://twitter.com/hashtag/BringBackTheGreenTick

You are losing a lot of paying customers because of this so I sincerely hope you read the hundreds of comments from your very unhappy customer base and undo this crazy decision and give us back our green tick on the system tray icon.

Honestly, I don't know what else to say accept to reiterate what I've already said - this is a completely unwarranted change to something that worked perfectly well.

I would also add what many commenters on the above thread have already pointed out - did you consider the people who use dropbox that are colour blind when you made this decision to remove the green tick? They can no longer tell if dropbox is on or offline now.

Please reverse this madness!

Regards

RichardKLee
Explorer | Level 4

"Dropbox, you fixed what wasn't broken. Now it's broken."

#BringBackTheGreenTick

RichardKLee
Explorer | Level 4

@JohnMurray please let us know the updates from Dropbox, thank you!!!

Need more support?