cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

jeffcrews
Explorer | Level 4

My payment history shows at least 7 years of paid.  I think I used dropbox for 2-3 years before that...as I thought I was an early invite ot something like that.

This update to take away the green check box is really annoying...as the system tray icon on Windows looks just like dropbox when you are not connected to the Internet.

I do not know what the other client software icons looked like...but this is really not an intuitive, helpful or friendly change to syncronize with the other clients look and feel...and leave the Windows users not knowing if dropbox is synchronized.

I see I got a message 2 hours ago on my system tray..but I did not know the message was there to tell me the green checkmark is no longer supported until I clicked the icon.

That green check mark meant so much to some many of us to know dropbox is all good at a glance.  

Changing something so basic that has been ingrained in your customers like this since day one... all of a sudden is not a good sign of things to come.  

I would suspect you have more people saying what they heck and complaining than you do have praising you for this change.

Putting the green check mark is the right thing to do.

Grey and black are too subtle to tell apart for status on an icon so small. 

When we first got on dropbox we were trained with these words cached from google:

What does the green check mark mean in Dropbox?
Synced. A green circle with a check mark is a wonderful thing and what you'll see most often. When it appears on the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar, it means your Dropbox is fully synced. When it appears on an individual file or folder, it means the file or folder has finished syncing the latest changes.

MaxMM3
New member | Level 2

**bleep**. I spent half a day trying to figure out what is wrong with my connection, as I thought the Dropbox didn't sync. Absolutely stupid novelty.

mandrake
Helpful | Level 5

I want my green tick mark back! Bold/faded icon does not work for me!

DropBox did not even notify me before withdrawing this vital feature.

It had let to so much confusion for the last few days. I was even planning to reinstall dropbox!

I am hugely disappointed with the withdrawal; more so with the completely unprofessional manner in which it was done!

jmart550
New member | Level 2

Why get rid of the green checkmark when there is no UI specific to "CAN'T SYNC xxxxx, PERMISSION DENIED"?? Should've addressed that first - all I see is the syncing icon and then hover over the icon only to find out the error and it's waiting for my input, or could be fixed by my input/changes, etc.....

Pi87
New member | Level 2

OMG I can't believe that has changed! I thought it was a bug of Windows 10 CFU update LOL! At least I know now... That icon showed us at a glance when everything had synced properly or when we were offline!!! 

tefrim
New member | Level 2
The reason Dropbox gave is that they wanted it to match the other dropbox clients. But why weren't the other clients changed to embrace the green checkmark instead of changing the PC clients? Who doesn't like a green tick to show all is well? Please bring back the green checkmark in the system tray.

idravlis
Explorer | Level 3

Removing the ICONS, not just the green icon is not only exquisitely moronic but furthermore the "shading" doesnt even work, at least in mint mate 18.1

Not only it shows like its offline all the time now, but it also shows offline when i PAUSE syncing.

I bet a new "young" guy made that decision that needs to get in touch with the basics. Like, i don't know, maybe before taking up a positioin and deciding something so crucial for thousands of people you should have at least an idea of THE BASICS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES like HCI. It is called Human Computer Interaction and it is a lesson, yes a lesson, when you study about HOW TO FREAKING MAKE GUI's that increase productivity and above all MAKE SENSE.

Now with the new shiny drobpox tray icon we have to do more steps to inform ourselves about its syncing status like hooover all the way to the icon when previously a 0.100ms look was simply enough.

And because just by judging a problem you don't solve it i will give you a heads up.

If you hadn't had anything more usefull to do than deciding to mame a critical and already flawlessly working feature at least do it right.

Bring back the pause sub-icon, create a new icon for when sync is offline and what do you know, then we will all know that the little open box with NO SUB-ICON means "up to date".

Because come on, shading? really? in critical things like work trends and "coolnes" is not a factor

BRING BACK THE TRAY SUB ICONS

And of course stop using people that are clueless in software design

Scott E.8
Explorer | Level 4

This asthetic change to match is stupid.  Dropbox was the only app I didint hide in the system tray just because the green tick showed me I was online and all was well with the net connection,  FFS Dropbox, why change **bleep** people are used to and reply on.  Someone needs to pull their head out theire ass and change this back or I'm wallking.   3 bucks a month for google drive and 100 GB is all I need, Dropbox had a use for me, now its just plain WRONG

momanyink
New member | Level 2

It initially confused me as well 🙂 until after reading this section (https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/sync-icons#desktop) 

Well, if asked to vote I would request that the DropBox team retains the green check mark to signify fully synced status in addition to the new feature. 

Neush
New member | Level 2
Yes, please. I want it back. I even panicked at the end of a long workday and reinstalled dropbox because i thought... etc.
Need more support?