cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

UsuallyConfused
Helpful | Level 6

@CSX321 - Please give steps

CSX321
Helpful | Level 5

@UsuallyConfused - I'm a developer; this may be beyond the casual user.

1. Use a resource editor (I used Resource Hacker) to extract the appropriate icon resource from the old version. OR (this is what I did), extract the sync icon resource from the current version and edit it to change the sync symbols to checkmark symbols.

2. Replace icon resource 201 in dropbox.exe with the old (or edited) icon resource.

3. Save the new executable.

4. Profit?

jmart550
New member | Level 2

Please make an option!! Other systems' limitations shouldn't inhibit this.... "If we can't have it, then they all can't have it!" is what it seems like.

Clayton H.
New member | Level 2

From a business perspective- this is a minor disaster. I'm searching to figure out why it does this now and here it's the new norm. 
 I have 200 users and instructions for years telling them to wait for the green checkmark. Of all the features that would be useful, why change this

David M.294
Helpful | Level 5

It would be best for the distinction between offline and synced to be clearer.  It's dangerous having the offline status look so similar to the online, synced status.

Alternatively, change the offline status to have a circle with an "X" in it.

P.S. I appreciate that syncing shows a blue sync icon - at least I can see when I'm actively syncing, and refrain from opening the file prematurely on another computer 🙂

EDIT: It's February, four months later, and I'd still feel more comfortable if it was green.  The grey offline is moderately distinguishable from the white synced, but I have still had a few occasions where it took a few minutes before I squinted at it and realized that it was offline 😞

Sergeyff
New member | Level 2

очень плохо.
создать впечатление, что программа не в сети как и весь комп.
прошу вернуть прежние настройки работы.
очень неудобно.
кому это только в голову пришло?

уберите его тогда совсем из трея... зачем он там сейчас нужен??

mdelas
New member | Level 2

Remove the green 'synced' checkmark from the system tray icon is the worst design decision in a very long, long time.

Just bring it back.

gilsousa
New member | Level 2

First time ever I had to search for anything related to a dropbox problem and now I learn this was on purpose? Do they actually use the product!? Worst idea ever. Please bring back the "green check"!!!!

kitty8fish
New member | Level 2

I just wasted my time today thinking Dropbox was broken and trying to fix it. PLEASE bring it back; I want to see the reassuring presence of that green checkmark!

tegsirat
Explorer | Level 4

Has anyone from the dropbox team commented on this yet? I feel as if we may all be screaming at a wall.

Need more support?