cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

336 Replies 336

dingybroad
Explorer | Level 4

Agreed!

@wowtah wrote:

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

It was an easy visual to let me know all was well, and if there was no check or circle, I would know at a glance that I was having internet issues (which happens disappointingly often, and this was the easiest way to confirm without a lot of other rigamarole)..

Canp
New member | Level 2
Please bring it back!

DSilvermane
New member | Level 2

Even though I realized almost immediately what the change was (I work with Dropbox from 8 to 5), I can't agree more with everyone here who says it was a stupid idea. The new icon just looks incomplete. We need that :white_check_mark: back.

GothKittyLady
Explorer | Level 4

Like many of the other people commenting here, this is the first time I ever had a reason to visit the community - and the first problem I've ever had with Dropbox, because now it constantly looks like I've lost my Internet connection (something that happens at odd intervals in my location) and my files aren't being synced. And even on my big monitor - much less on my tablet - the shading change  that's supposed to indicate syncing and not is practically unnoticeable.

I realize that you and your design team are just laughing and doing your best to ignore these complaints because 'people don't like change, they'll get used to it', but that isn't actually the problem. This change you made is basically the equivalent of going out late one Sunday night and changing all of the stop signs from red octagons to yellow triangles before everyone got up to go to work on Monday morning. Just because you've been planning to make the change for a while doesn't mean your users were prepared for it, or that you considered what effect it was going to have when you suddenly sprung it on them with no warning.

LeeWamble
Helpful | Level 5

Bring back the green checkmark! The problem (that Dropbox arbitrarily and pointlessly made for us all) is that the new way of showing synced is the old way of showing disconnected. It sucks. Why do this? Please put it back asap. 

dc1689
New member | Level 2

Yes! Please do bring back the green checkmark. I realize from the Dropbox perspective it may make good business sense, but for everyday users the checkmark provides a quick visual assurance that all is synced.

Gunars L.
Explorer | Level 4

When using small taskbar icons on a smaller screen, it was already hard to distinguish between the green and blue tags without squinting.  I much preferred the older, larger checkmarks.

Now the subtle shading difference between offline and synced and ready is even worse.  Your users have many different kinds and sizes of displays.  This is not readily distinguishable in all cases.  The icons described in https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/sync-icons#desktop show a grey/black box with a white center.  However, on my Win 7 display, the toolbar icon is white with a grey/black center.  This small center of the box, only a few pixels really, changing from gray to black is extremely hard to see.

Seriously, buy a box of crayons for all your Flat UI designers and get a bit of color back in their lives 🙂

bertbarber
New member | Level 2

An email to let us know would have been nice too.

Pretty easy to do.

bertbarber
New member | Level 2

And also my icon is white.

How's that going to look when faded?

CSX321
Helpful | Level 5

Just adding my agreement that the checkmark needs to return to the taskbar icon.

I've just now modified the icon resource in the exe to add it back myself on my machine!

Need more support?