cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App won't let me use without upgrading, it thinks I have more than 3 devices.

App won't let me use without upgrading, it thinks I have more than 3 devices.

Marj5
Explorer | Level 3

I reset my computer.  When I tried to download the app, it prompted me to buy the upgrade.  It thinks this is now a 3rd device.  Now what can I do besides paying for the upgrade?

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II

You can delete previously linked devices at https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Marj5
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for replying, Mark.  I went to the page you suggested, deleted everything except my phone.  Downloaded Dropbox.  The files from my phone synced.  Drobox won't open.  I get the circle for a few seconds, then nothing.  tried opening it from the start menu and from file explorer.  Nothing.  Any ideas? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Marj5, thanks for posting here! 

Would you mind clarifying your device's OS, and also send me a screenshot of the page you see on your end, when trying to open the app there? 

Just make sure your personal info is hidden. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Marj5
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Megan,

Thank you for getting in touch.  It's not the phone app I'm having trouble with; it's the computer app (Windows 11).  There's nothing to show in a screenshot.  I click on Dropbox in the apps list, get the "loading" circle for a few seconds, then nothing else happens.  I've also tried booting it from file explorer with the same result.  The app and my files seem to be there, but I can't get the app to start.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Marj5, thanks for the heads up! 

Can you please check the sync status of the Dropbox application, by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray?

Can you please reboot your computer, disable any antivirus, firewall and/or VPN/proxy setting you may be running on your computer and try again?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Marj5
Explorer | Level 3

I put Dropbox into the sys tray.  If I hover over it, it just tells me it's Dropbox.  Nothing is syncing.  I don't know how to safely disable Malwarebytes.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Marj5 - sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that you should be able to find instructions to (temporarily) disable your Malwarebytes by doing a web search.

Let us know if the issue persist with your antivirus turned off and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rich
Super User II

@Marj5 wrote:

I don't know how to safely disable Malwarebytes.  

Just disable it or exit the application. It's just a test, and unless you're actively downloading files from some nefarious source, there's little risk.

Marj5
Explorer | Level 3

What it shows in "exit the application" is not the choices I get.  I can only pin or unpin it.  Nothing on my Malwarebytes dashboard allows me to disable it, either.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Marj5 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?