cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All files moved to online only

All files moved to online only

pb1234
New member | Level 2

I recently updated to dropbox for mac and all files and folders have been moved to online only and have to be downloaded if I want to view/access them meaning I can't access them while offline. All files with have the grey cloud icon with the downwards pointing arrow next to them - clicking on this does nothing - the icon changes to a blank grey cloud icon but the file is not downloaded.

These are all files that were stored on my mac previously but it seems like dropbox has moved them off my mac. Is there any way to fix this?

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II

@pb1234 wrote:

These are all files that were stored on my mac previously but it seems like dropbox has moved them off my mac. Is there any way to fix this?

Select some or all of the files and mark them as Available Offline again.

This happened as part of the Mac update and the forced relocation of the Dropbox folder into your Library/CloudStorage folder.

irenesf
Helpful | Level 5

I am very unhappy about this change. Before I had everything important in a folder in my (Silicone iMac) Home Folder with an alias to that folder on the desktop. That folder synced to Dropbox. Everything was easy to find when I needed information or to make changes. 

Now it is on the Dropbox Website in a different arrangement.  If I make many files available off line and make changes on my computer will those changes be on the Dropbox Website too?

irenesf
Helpful | Level 5

I want my Desktop (or anywhere on my iMac) Dropbox Folder back. Can you make that happen? I think many people find navigation on their own device with funny looking easily recognizable icons differentiating folders much easier than navigating and re-organizing the information on the DB website. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @irenesf, would you be changing files directly from the Dropbox folder itself, or via the alias you created?

Have you already tried testing it on a sample file?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

irenesf
Helpful | Level 5

I'd like to have all the items which are in DB on my computer also. I would make any changes or additions on the computer if they will still auto update to DB.  Are you hinting this works?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @irenesf, how are you today?

If you're using the Dropbox desktop app, the changes you make by editing/adding/deleting files in your Dropbox folder, will sync to your account online.

So even if your files are online-only, you can always make them available offline to edit them and your edits will sync online and to your connected devices.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

irenesf
Helpful | Level 5

Oh, thank you for telling me this. I didn't understand from the DM message about the change. Plus an Apple iCloud issue necessitated me to stop syncing the Desktop with iCloud, so my Alias Folder to DB which was in my Mac's Home Folder disappeared. I have everything set to rights now, I think. 

How do I tell DB not to sync photos? I store those on Amazon Photos instead but DB often syncs them and then I delete them from DB.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Are you referring to the automatic camera upload feature which is on the mobile app, or the desktop?

Do these steps help in disabling it for you?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

irenesf
Helpful | Level 5

It is turned off in both places now. Many thanks!

Need more support?