cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm asked if I want to move files out of Dropbox, and then my Windows desktop fills up with them

I'm asked if I want to move files out of Dropbox, and then my Windows desktop fills up with them

Carolb7821
Explorer | Level 3

Message #2 after hitting cancel for message #1Message #2 after hitting cancel for message #1Message #2 after hitting cancel for message #1Desktop view after message #1Desktop view after message #1Desktop view after message #1Message #1Message #1Message #1I have had this issues for a few months now. I will be working on a spread sheet or reading emails when I get a message (see pictures) Remove "05-19-24 Azi & Stone 2.jpg and 40 other items from your Dropbox account and all devices? (file name and number not always the same) and without clicking on anything in Dropbox or on the dialog box, I have a full screen of files on my desktop. Some of these files are from my files in Dropbox and some are files that I have moved to trash. How can I stop this from happening? Each time it does, I have to go through each file and move them back to the folder they belong in. 

4 Replies 4

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this on our forum, @Carolb7821. This is an odd behavior indeed.

Is this only happening when reading emails or working on one of your Excel sheets? Or is the pop-up message showing while working with other third-party apps in general? 

Before that, were you working in your Dropbox folder by any chance?

If not, I’d like you clarify the OS version of your computer, as well as the app version and syncing status of your Dropbox app. 

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox, since this started happening? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Carolb7821
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy, 

I am working from the folder that syncs to my Dropbox. I am currently running windows 11 and I'm not sure what version of Dropbox I'm using. When I hover over the Dropbox icon is says Dropbox 199.4.6287 - up to date.  Yes, I had and was currently working in a folder that was being synced with Dropbox when the message occurred. I have not tried to uninstall or reinstall Dropbox. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the updates, Carol! Were any of the files within your local Dropbox folder accidentally dragged out of it at any certain point, before receiving this notification? 

If not, and you’re not on a free Basic plan with more than 3 devices currently linked, feel free to reinstall the app and let me know if the same behavior persists after that.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Carolb7821
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Nancy. There were no files drug out of the Dropbox folder to the desk top. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I'll see what happens now. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Carolb7821 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?