cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After reinstalling the desktop app, it created a new folder and it's still not syncing my old files.

After reinstalling the desktop app, it created a new folder and it's still not syncing my old files.

JenniferD1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have Dropbox desktop where all my files are saved. Unfortunately, it stopped syncing a week ago without notifying me. Now, I have files in my desktop Dropbox folder that can't be found on Dropbox web. I uninstalled Dropbox, and after reinstalling it, it created a new folder named Dropbox.

What should I do to sync my desktop files to Dropbox web?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to the forum, @JenniferD1!

What you can do, in this scenario, is to pause the syncing of the app, move/copy the files from your old Dropbox folder to the new one and then, resume syncing once again. 

The Dropbox app should reindex the files and only sync the previous updates, instead of syncing everything from the start. 

Let me know if you still face any issues with syncing after that.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JenniferD1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi All,

Please helpppp. 

Earlier today, I had a problem syncing my Dropbox desktop to Dropbox web, and what I did was re-install my Dropbox desktop. 

Now, it created a folder (new) in the same location with the same folder name. However, all my saved files were not saved and cannot be found.

The files are a lot, it was my work for 1 month. Please help me.

I hope someone in this community can help me recover my files. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@JenniferD1, do you remember the names of any files you’re now missing from your computer? If yes, can you do a search in your File Explorer/Finder, and let me know if you see any results? 

If a new Dropbox folder was created, the old one should still be on your computer along with your previous files, but it would no longer sync.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    JenniferD1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?