cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account Downgraded and can't make files online-only

Account Downgraded and can't make files online-only

Glen H.5
Explorer | Level 3

I keep getting a message every 15 seconds telling me: "Acount downgraded. Files can no longer be made online-only". All of my desktop icons flash periodically, too, as if they are resetting, and so does my cursor and toolbar icons.

I have access to Dropbox (regular account) on all devices, but on my notebook computer, this series of problems shows. I can't even see the Dropbox icon periodically from the taskbar.

I'm using the most up to date version on all devices (Windows), 165.4.4300, but on the offending laptop when the Dropbox icon shows, it says Starting.... and doesn't load.

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Glen H.5, let's jump right into this! 

In regards to the first thing you mentioned about turning your files online-only, could you check your account's plan, and let me know more? 

It sounds like your account might have been downgraded from a paid plan, which would justify the message you're seeing. 

As for the 'starting' syncing status of the app, how long has it been like that? Have you tried signing out of the app, then back in?

Let me know more! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Glen H.5
Explorer | Level 3

I have uninstalled Dropbox twice now from my notebook computer and reinstalled each time. But each time, when it reaches the set up stage, it just stalls. I waited 20 minutes each time before giving up.

I have the Basic Dropbox account now. I had it for a long time, then paid for the Pro account, and a few months ago I changed back to Basic because I couldn't afford it. There is still plenty of memory left, so it's not full.

I see Dropbox in my file manager on an iPad and a second computer. It works just fine without any error messages there. I even see the icon in my toolbox there, but not on the notebook computer.

I thought I should attempt an advanced installation now. Waiting to hear a reply first.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Glen H.5, sorry to jump in here.

Did the Dropbox app just stay stuck on "Starting" each time you uninstalled and reinstalled it?

Or does it stall before even finishing installing?

What do you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray?

Do you perhaps have any security apps/programs such as an antivirus, VPN, firewall, that might be causing problems with the Dropbox app?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Glen H.5
Explorer | Level 3

It downloads the app, and a window opens with the title Starting Setup. An animated icon moves constantly, but after 20 minutes, I gave up on it ever completing. 

Hovering over the Dropbox item is not always possible because it's not always there. When it is, it just says "starting..." and the current version (which is the same version that displays on my other devices. Those say "up to date".

I don't know what VPN is, so I probably don't have it, but yes, of course I have security installed. Maybe I'll try pausing that before I try the advanced installation mode. Thanks. You'd think the installation process would suggest doing that, though. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Glen H.5, if you could pause your antivirus, and try an advanced re-install, that'll be amazing.

I'll be waiting for updates!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Glen H.5
Explorer | Level 3

Megan,

I know it was downgraded from a paid account. 100% certain because that's what the bank records showed, and I had a LONG text conversation with someone at Dropbox to make that change. I don't see how that justifies this sudden problem. Months have passed since the change in plan to Dropbox Basic, and I've used the PC every week without any problems until just now.

I just paused my antivirus and tried a normal installation after removing it from my Control Panel. Download, OK. Installation, OK, but when it gets to Set up, it stalls leaving me with just an animated image while it seemingly tries to complete the setup.

I guess I'll have to do it with the advanced installation now. Sorry for the delays. This is a very busy time in my career. Will keep you posted.

Glen

Glen H.5
Explorer | Level 3

Just noticed your suggestion to sign out. When I tried to reinstall, it asks me to sign in. That makes sense since I am reinstalling after I remove it from the computer, right?? There shouldn't be a memory of signing in after that action is taken, I would think.

Glen H.5
Explorer | Level 3

Megan,

I cannot even get started on the advanced install. Here are the instructions.

Windows

Quit the Dropbox desktop app. (To do so, click the Dropbox icon in your taskbar, click your avatar (profile picture or initials), and click Quit).

Uninstall the Dropbox desktop app from your computer.

Restart your computer.

OK, I DID THIS USING THE CONTROL PANEL, SINCE I DON'T HAVE THE ICON IN MY TASKBAR.

Open the Windows Registry editor.

Double-click the folder named “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” to open it.

Inside that folder, find the “Dropbox” and “DropboxUpdate” folders by searching in the folders named “SOFTWARE” and “WOW6432Node”. They’ll be in either or both locations. Delete the “Dropbox” and “DropboxUpdate” folders. (To do so, right-click each folder and click Delete).

I DON'T SEE THOSE FOLDERS IN SOFTWARE OR WOW64232Node. So there is nothing there to delete.

Open File Explorer search for the folder “%LOCALAPPDATA%”.

Inside that folder, delete the “Dropbox” folder.

THERE WAS NO SUCH FOLDER.

Download and install the Dropbox desktop app.
Since your original Dropbox folder is still on your computer at this point, if you don’t want to create a new one, click Advanced Settings during the download prompts and click the location of your existing Dropbox folder. For example, if your Dropbox folder is located at “D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Dropbox”, choose “D:\OtherDrive\Folder”.

I CLICKED ON THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE APP. THE EXE FILE DOWNLOADED. AFTER I CLICKED ON IT, THE DOWNLOAD BEGAN WITH NO OPTIONS FOR ADVANCED SETTINGS. THERE WERE NO PROMPTS AT ALL, JUST A DOWNLOAD WINDOW, WHICH THEN CHANGED TO AN INSTALLER WINDOW WITH A PROGRESS BAR. 

AFTER ABOUT 1-2 MINUTES, THE WINDOW DISAPPEARED, ALL OF MY DESKTOP ICONS SEEMED TO REFRESH. THEN I GOT A SIGN IN WINDOW WITH "SET UP DROPBOX" AS THE TITLE. BEHIND IT WAS A FULL SCREEN IMAGE OF A COMPUTER AND A MESSAGE SAYING SIGN IN, YOUR DROPBOX IS ALMOST READY!

SO, WHERE IS THE ADVANCED SETTINGS BUTTON? I'VE DONE THIS MUCH IN THE INSTALLATION HALF A DOZEN TIMES AND NEVER SEEN IT. PLEASE ADVISE.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Glen H.5, sorry to jump in here, but could you send us a full-screen screenshot including the app's status or any error messages you see so that we make sure we're on the same page?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?