cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Paid for dropbox has never worked correctly

Syncing doesn't work. A few files change and hours later they still haven't showed up to the web.

XXX999
Explorer | Level 3

I wanted a solution to have files backed up online (typical dropbox) but I also  have certain files (a few handfuls) I need always available when I am offline (off the internet). I am often offline for extended periods of time and need those critical files.

I am using apple products, a laptop on ventura and mobile devices on the latest software.

Dropbox (paid version) has never worked correctly in the 2 months I have tried to use it:

1 - Sync doesn’t work.  A few files change and hours later (with the processes all running) and they still have not updated from the laptop to the web page, with a very strong internet access.

I have to manually upload the files from the laptop to dropbox via the dropbox webpage.

I have way less than the max number of files (about 25%), it uploads very quickly using the dropbox webpage, there is no other programs running (other than standard background processes) on a new computer with tons of power and space, but dropbox still won’t work correctly.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 6.44.42 PM.png

2 - Offline doesn’t work.  While the files are visible and can be accessed right after I do manual syncs, they get errors starting within days/weeks after being offline. These are critical files.

I get "unexpected" errors, and I get a triangle symbol.  Note:  One folder is never changed on any of the devices but that folder and it's individual files still becomes unaccessible when offline.  

I have gotten very little help from support, extremely frustrating with their lack of basic knowledge of how dropbox works on Ventura (big changes happened) and their lack of trouble shooting skills/knowledge.

This is my last ditch effort before disputing the charge (last rep said this was my best choice) to see if there is someone knowledgable that can provide acceptable workarounds for the bugs I am running into (and get them reported so they get fixed).

14 Replies 14

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @XXX999, sorry to hear about your syncing issues.

Could you please let us know the status and version  of the desktop app as shown in your menu bar at the moment?

You can also share your ticket ID for your support interaction so that we can look it up in our system as well.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

XXX999
Explorer | Level 3

@walter I am on apple ios ventura.  There is no desktop app, nore is there anything in bar.  I spent 30 min going round and round about this with a support rep who was not familiar with how dropbox worked on Ventura ios release.

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 3.55.06 PM.png

XXX999
Explorer | Level 3

@walter The second support rep confirmed there is no app and nothing on the top bar for apple ios ventura, dropbox did a major rewrite.

XXX999
Explorer | Level 3

@walter  

As I said there is no app in either the upper or lower bar showing Dropbox - I was told by support that IOS ventura doesn't run an app.

However, when I go to the applications folder and do Get Info on the dropbox app is says:

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 5.13.55 PM.png

I have no idea if that app actually is what is running.

I gave you in the original message a picture showing a list of the dropbox processes running.

The support calls were done via phone, no support ticket number was ever given to me.

This looks like a Ventura problem - please respond with any help.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @XXX999, could you try the steps in this thread to see if you can find the Dropbox icon? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

XXX999
Explorer | Level 3

I  had found another thread that gave some hints on how to show the dropbox app on ventura. 

So 2 hours of my effort with support now used up to get this far (plus many hours on my own searching dropbox forums and messing with dropbox to try and get it working and see what was going on) ...

Here is the app version on the laptop

Screenshot 2023-05-06 at 3.46.25 PM.png

Mobile apps are all updated as new updates come out so 100% updated.

Problems:

1) New file added to laptop does not update even when dropbox is running, even when I have been on a strong internet for many hours and no other files were updated and the updated file is small - hours later still not updated to the internet.  This happened immediately after a new install to the current version - all symptoms happened since dropbox paid version was installed.  To get the updated files to the internet, I have to manually copy them.

2) On mobile devices, the files  inside the offline folders are not accessible when not on the internet.  They are accessible when on the internet and marked offline, then when offline for a few days/weeks, the files show a yellow triangle with a ! or say "unexpected error".

XXX999
Explorer | Level 3
Still not receiving any help for this problem.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here, @XXX999.

Can you please let us know which steps you followed to get to the Dropbox version in your screenshot?

Were you able to locate the Dropbox icon? And if so, what do you see when hovering over it? We're particularly interested in the sync status.

Also, if you can give us the ticket number for your communication with our support team, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

XXX999
Explorer | Level 3

I don't remember how I got the app version, obviously an about.  But it is the same version that shows when I hover over the dropbox icon in the menu bar.  I am not seeing the problem right now (looked after the laptop was on the internet 30 minutes) and I don't have time to do more reproducing since I spent so much time yesterday and today getting info to dropbox.  When I see it happen next I will grab the syncing status.  But no matter what, being on a very strong internet and changing only one very small file should not take 30 minutes to upload it to dropbox (especially when it was the only file that changed).

I did a chat session again yesterday, I was told 2 tickets would be created and emailed to me.  The two issues that stop me dead cold from using dropbox are:

- laptop not syncing/very very slow syncing (I have to manually upload the folders/files from the dropbox webpage) 

- offline not working on mobile devices - file not available when not on internet. This is the whole reason I paid for dropbox but as I said it seems to work for a short while then stops.  The files are never updated.

I was only given ticket number that discusses both issues but ended with being the laptop not syncing problem Ticket #22186542.  

The problem happened again yesterday for the not syncing problem and I added some screenshots.  I got a reply but the replying agent didn't understand the issue and posted a "here is how it works" explanation without even looking because I clearly showed in my screen shots that it was not working as he said it should.  So I replied again and explained what that agent missed.

I feel I am spending way more time on this than dropbox and the agents time (combined) and that the reps I am talking to on chat (and responding to the ticket) don't understand the basics of what is going on.

Example why did it take hours working with agents before I was told (by you all not the agent but even then it took a while for someone to say it works this way, here is where you go to do that and by then I had searched again and found an answer).  First one said there was an app on ventura but could not say at all how to get to the icon - 30 min of my time. Second one said there was no app but at least could answer (accurately) information on how the product worked.  Then after days and back and forth finally someone here says there is an app and I went searching again in the forum and found a reference to how to get it to show.  Very very frustrating and honestly a waste of time.

Need more support?