cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sidebar & dialog box do not show full file / folder names.

Sidebar & dialog box do not show full file / folder names.

FrankGaz
Helpful | Level 7

The sidebar cannot be stretched enough to show a full folder name (even if it is not all that long). 

When selecting and moving files, the "Move" dialog truncates folder names. So if you have multiple folders that start with the same text, there's no way to know what folder you're moving something to. 

Please make folder names VISIBLE. The visibility of a folder / directory is important when dealing with files / folders / directories. This is basic stuff. 

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @FrankGaz, thanks for posting here!

Based on the info you shared, it's safe to guess that you're using our website, correct? 

Would you be able to send me a couple of screenshots, in order for me to have a visual of what you described too? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

FrankGaz
Helpful | Level 7

Hello Megan, 

Thank you for your quick response! Yes, I am using the DB website. Here are two screenshots / examples.

The first is the "Move" dialog. You can see that two folders start with "Example - Destination Folder" and end with the word "Clients" but the text in the middle is removed, so there's no way to identify the folders. I know the folder names may appear to be a bit long, but there's nothing wrong with that (and sometimes a slightly longer name is important...and they're not all that long).

FrankGaz_0-1729800191522.png

The second example is the of the normal sidebar. In the screenshot, I've stretched the sidebar to widen it as much as the site allows. You can see that these folder names aren't all that long, the sidebar just doesn't show enough text. The "Example Folder" is also a top-level folder. So the sidebar is cutting off the names of the first subdirectories. If I added more folders to the sub-directories, they would barely be visible.  The ability to stretch it as much as the user wants would be ideal (and honestly, that should probably just be a normal feature of the site...there isn't a great reason to limit a user's ability to see their folders). 

Example-Sidebar.png

Again, I really appreciate your help with this. 

Frank

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @FrankGaz, thanks for the screenshots, they helped a lot! 

Your feedback regarding our website and how content is shown there has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. Your needs and voice matter to us because they allow us to fully appreciate how Dropbox fits into and influences your daily routine.

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    FrankGaz Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?