cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On my Windows 11, the preview panel renders nothing for my images.

On my Windows 11, the preview panel renders nothing for my images.

JohnnyVegas
Explorer | Level 4

On one of my Windows 11 Machines I am having an issue in Windows Explorer where if I choose an image file, no preview is rendered.  Please note that it does not say "No preview available", it simply shows nothing in the preview panel.

I noticed I was running a beta version of Dropbox on this machine, so I uninstalled and then installed the latest stable version.  I did not delete the orphaned Dropbox folder; I simply reinstalled it and let it resynch against what was there.

No joy.

Here is what does work:

In Windows Explorer, select an image file that has this problem.  Change the selection to another file and then select the previous file.  Preview renders.  You have to do this *EXACTLY*.  It is not enough to select one file, then the next, then the next; you *MUST* select a file, select the next and then select the previous file.

That works 99.9% of the time.  If it doesn't work, you select the file that won't render a preview.  Close the preview panel and then open it again.  And the preview renders.

I *CANNOT* go through every image of every folder I have in dropbox.  Surely there's a setting someplace or some cache that needs to be cleared.

Any insights would be welcome.

11 Replies 11

JohnnyVegas
Explorer | Level 4

Here's what I tried:

I (yet again) uninstalled Dropbox on my Windows 11 desktop.  After the uninstall, I renamed the dropbox folder and then reinstalled pointing at the old folder name in hopes that a download would somehow fix this.

The sync completed today and no, it fixed nothing.  Same problem, same workaround (though now my "Camera Uploads" folder shows as "Sync in progress" in Explorer but the Dropbox icon in the system tray says "Up to date", so, awesome <eyeRoll>).

I went over to my old Windows 10 desktop and yes, SAME PROBLEM THERE.

My Windows 11 Laptop does not have the problem.  The difference is that on that machine I opted for "Online Only" whereas on the two desktops, I chose "Available Offline".

No other folder anywhere on either machine is exhibiting this issue.  It is confined to Dropbox folders where "Available Offline" is the sync mode.

JohnnyVegas
Explorer | Level 4

Moving the "Camera Uploads" folder out of Dropbox and then back in fixed the "Sync in progress" problem.

Image preview problem remains.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JohnnyVegas, welcome to our Community!

I'd like a few more details, such as the version of the app at the moment, along with its syncing status

I'd also love some screenshots, in order for me to have a visual step-by-step of the process you follow on your end.

I'll be waiting for your update! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JohnnyVegas
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Megan!

I have screenshots ready to go.  I've uploaded to my personal website.  However, when I enter the URL in the popup in this editor and fill in the rest of the form, It renders here as a broken image when I preview the post.

The URL I'm entering is correct; I enter the same URL in my browser and I am presented the image.

Is there a trick to this?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JohnnyVegas, since we wouldn't be able to open the link for security reasons anyway, can you attach the screenshots themselves to your next reply?

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

JohnnyVegas
Explorer | Level 4

That's what I'm trying to do Hannah.  I foolishly tried uploading using the little Camera Icon in the editor instead of dragging and dropping the image into the text area.

Back to my issue ...

Version & Status:

00_VersionAndStatus.jpg

Steps to recreate ...

1) The Problem: No Preview of image file

01_NoPreview.jpg

2) Select Another Image

02_SelectAnotherImage.jpg

3) Select the previously selected image

03_UsuallyRenders.jpg

4) That *USUALLY* fixes it, but occasionally it doesn't.  In that case do this ...

04_IfNot.jpg

5) And that fixes it; the preview now renders.

05_PreviewRenders.jpg

The problem is, that there is no bulk way to do the above, so I would have to go folder-by-folder, file-by-file.

The previews all render on my laptop that has Default Sync State set to Online-Only; so I know that you folks know how to render a Preview.  This has to be an issue with the Available-Offline setting.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots and the info, Johnny!

If you simply quit the Dropbox app, does the issue persist while the app is closed?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

JohnnyVegas
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, the issue persists, but the work-around stops working.

Starting Dropbox back up allows the work-around to work again.

shrimpgordita
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same problem, except when I quit Dropbox, the issue goes away and the preview starts working again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DBX_Pedro Community Manager
    JohnnyVegas Explorer | Level 4
    shrimpgordita Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?