cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Many files not in cloud after removing & deleting client from former company's laptop

Many files not in cloud after removing & deleting client from former company's laptop

TobyBaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi this may be a popular question...

I was using the free version of Dropbox to back up content from a few years back...work related stuff from a long-ago job. Nothing proprietary, but important to me. My assumption is that this is a common problem and Dropbox has them backed up somewhere unless I inadvertently deleted them permanently. 

How can I determine if it's possible to get back the files that were lost? 

Sequence of events & unsuccessful strategies so far:

9 weeks ago, I left my last job and deleted all (everything) of the content from the Dropbox client from my work computer and then uninstalled the client. I ensured that all files were still in the cloud version of Dropbox before and after this procedure. 2 weeks ago, I installed the Dropbox client on my new computer and now hundreds (but not all) of my files are missing!

I looked at "Recent Activity" in the cloud version of my account and can see a record of where I apparently deleted these files on July 26th...I did many screen captures of the deleted items listed in the activity log (see screengrab below).

Using "Deleted Files" for any or all folders w missing content has resulted in nothing; there are no deleted files listed in the folder in general, regardless of the locations or dates selected.

Using "Rewind" also does not work because the folders cannot be rewound to July 26th, for whatever reason. I even started a trial of Dropbox Pro in order to see if I have the capability of rewinding my account to contain everything that was there on July 25th...that would be awesome! It did not work.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

From what you've described, it isn't possible that the files were on the Dropbox site since there is no recent deletion or event history to show that the files were there.

If you're not seeing the missing files on the deleted files page, then there's a few possibilities as to why this might be the case:

• The files are on another Dropbox account
  • They were on a shared folder you don't have access to any more
  • The files were deleted outside of the 30 day period, and not two weeks ago
  • The files were permanently deleted

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @TobyBaz 

Unfortunately as they were deleted over 30 days ago its not possible to recover via Dropbox - even upgrading wont work as recovery windows are not retroactive. 

The only hope is seeing if the files are still on the old device at all.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

TobyBaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

If these files were deleted and unrecoverable, then how were they still present on the cloud instance until 2 weeks ago?

I verified that the files were still present in the cloud before installing the desktop client on my new computer 2 weeks ago

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

They cannot be on the cloud if that page shows they are deleted unless they were in a second location and so the ones you listed were deleted elsewhere. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

TobyBaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

ok...the work computer was offline (disconnected from the internet) when I removed the client and deleted all local content from it

the files were still in the cloud (same account, not a 2nd location) until 2 weeks ago...why isn't there a more recent record of their removal?

if I had a recent record of having these files being deleted, I could simply recover the deleted files

why can we not revert the cloud instance back to what it contained 2 weeks ago?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TobyBaz, according to the screenshot, the last copy of those files would've been deleted over 30 days, which means it wouldn't be possible to recover the files. 2 weeks ago would still be outside of the 30 day recovery period.

Being able to see the recent activity in the Dropbox desktop application doesn't mean that it's possible to recover the deleted files. 

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TobyBaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks Jay, I understand what you’re saying about the deletion of the files from the desktop PC. I believe that is the event referenced in the a teen captured Activity log.

Separately, how is it that these files were still in the cloud (using the same account, not a 2nd location) until 2 weeks ago?

They were in the cloud 2 weeks ago, so why isn't there a more recent record of their removal?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

From what you've described, it isn't possible that the files were on the Dropbox site since there is no recent deletion or event history to show that the files were there.

If you're not seeing the missing files on the deleted files page, then there's a few possibilities as to why this might be the case:

• The files are on another Dropbox account
  • They were on a shared folder you don't have access to any more
  • The files were deleted outside of the 30 day period, and not two weeks ago
  • The files were permanently deleted

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TobyBaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm leaning towards the 4th option ("files were permanently deleted") because this is the last reference to a delete (14 days ago) and there is nothing in the "Deleted Files" list for the related subfolders.

Does this help you understand what may have happened? Any further thoughts?

20220913 - dropbox lost files screen grab.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It's only possible to permanently delete files from the site directly. The screenshot doesn't provide any new insight into how the files were deleted or why they can't be recovered. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rebel1 New member | Level 2
    TobyBaz Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?