cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Opening a Document

Issue Opening a Document

Jab06487
New member | Level 2

Hi All, 

I am having issues opening an excel document. When I click on the document I want to open, I get the following 

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 1.21.50 PM.png

 When I click grant access, the following error message then pops up

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 12.21.15 PM.png

I am able to open all other documents in this folder. This document is also located in a different folder. I have tried opening it from there but am getting the same exact messages.

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Jab06487 wrote:

I am able to open all other documents in this folder. This document is also located in a different folder. I have tried opening it from there but am getting the same exact messages. 

Possible issue with the length of the file name? Excel has a filename character length limit of 218 characters, and that includes the full path to the file; not just the file's name itself.

Make a copy of the file, shorten its name and see if you can open it.

Graham
Community Manager

Hi @Jab06487,

Thanks for visiting the Dropbox Community. I hope you are well. I just wanted to follow up with you today about the issue you were experiencing while trying to open your Excel file. I've never come across the particular issue that Rich mentioned above so I was just hoping to find out if this was the cause of the problem, and if the work around worked successfully for you? 

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Graham

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Graham Community Manager
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?