cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Images previews are too small on Mac

Images previews are too small on Mac

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

Hi everyone, is there a way to increase the preview size of "online only" files? I'm asking because sometimes the thumbnail doesn't allow me to understand what the file is without downloading it. Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cloudres, thanks for posting to our Community.

Since the Dropbox folder is just another folder on your computer (just with syncing abilities), this is a setting you should be able to change through your OS.

You can see how to do this on a Mac computer here.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you need anything else.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

Sorry @Hannah, I misspoke. I would like to enlarge this type of preview. The one I can view by pressing CMD + Y.

Screenshot 2023-04-17 alle 19.30.23.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the clarification, @cloudres!

This is still something that is controlled by your OS settings (if it can actually be changed).

There's no setting on Dropbox that would allow you to change the size of the preview.

Have you looked into your OS settings, to see if you can change it?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

Yep, I took a look but I didn't find a function that permit to change it. That's fine, I'll try to write to Apple forum, lol 🙂 

EDSLTD
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue but the same thing happens on Google Drive, so definitely a cloud-based issue, not Dropbox'.

I've been all over Apple forums looking for a solution but with no luck. If you find one please do report back here and I will do the same.

EDSLTD
New member | Level 2

Ah, OK. It's just the online preview that's small when the file has never actually been opened on my computer, or it's been moved elsewhere and sync'd somewhere different. So cloud icon next to it = small preview.

The solution is to simply click each cloud icon and they will disappear and previews will work again. If that's not feasible or will take too long, you could just select a bunch of files, right click on them and select 'Make available offline'. They will then download onto your hard drive and you will be able to preview to your heart's content. When you're done, and if you so wish, you could reselect the same files and select 'Make online-only'.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

Hello @EDSLTD, I obviously was searching for a different solution. For me it's ok also a low resolution picture, but I need to see it more large as I previously written. For a photographer a simple JPG could mean also 40 MB, so try to imagine your suggestion for 40 images. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cloudres Experienced | Level 11
    EDSLTD New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?