cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only one of my PCs shows in my computer's homepage, after latest backup update

Only one of my PCs shows in my computer's homepage, after latest backup update

Dimostori
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I have two PC synced on Dropbox.

I used to see both as folders in the homepage, and on my computer inside the folder Dropbox.

Then there has been I think an update on how the backup work. Now I see the two PC in the backup page, and only one PC is still visible in the homepage. How can I restore the precedent view?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No supported ways with backup I'm afraid - backup is intended to just be a mirror of files not a sync. 

Other ways are also unsupported so you'd need to look at third party tools. Or, do what I did and just tell Windows to "move" the directories inside of Dropbox. 

So mine used to be \Dropbox\My Documents etc. 

And then when I went to 'My Docs' via a side pane window it was inside of Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I dont believe you can unfortunately - the backups update has removed lots of visibility 😞 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dimostori
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. I'm super sad 😫!

You mean that now, if I want to keep synchronized a folder of my computer, I have to move it into the dropbox folder, losing the position and hierarchical order it has on the PC?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes - that has actually always been the case. Backup was never intended to be a syncing solution, its a backup tool. It doesnt allow you to go in and 'edit' and 'work on' things inside of it

Dropbox only sync's what is inside of its folder. The way it worked around that for say Desktop was to actually move the folder in to Dropbox and sync it from there with shortcuts in its original location. Dropbox only sync's certain key folders that can be set up in config. 

Dimostori
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you again. Creating shorcuts in the original location of the folders is good advise.

Referring to this paragraph:

@Mark wrote:

Dropbox only sync's certain key folders that can be set up in config. 

Is this a different way of doing the same thing? Can I set up in config that I would like the "Documents" folder to always be in sync?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No supported ways with backup I'm afraid - backup is intended to just be a mirror of files not a sync. 

Other ways are also unsupported so you'd need to look at third party tools. Or, do what I did and just tell Windows to "move" the directories inside of Dropbox. 

So mine used to be \Dropbox\My Documents etc. 

And then when I went to 'My Docs' via a side pane window it was inside of Dropbox

Dimostori
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, right, I'll try this

@Mark wrote:

[...] tell Windows to "move" the directories inside of Dropbox. 

and if I'm not able I'll go for

@Mark wrote:
[...] move the folder in to Dropbox and sync it from there with shortcuts in its original location

Thank you Mark for your help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dimostori New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?