cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Extensionless files can’t be previewed

Help with Extensionless files can’t be previewed

C C.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yesterday, I decided to rename some of my videos on here to help me better identify them. After doing so now my files say: "Extensionless files can’t be previewed" . I tried to restore them to the previous version but still nothing. It will let me view the previous version but I cannot get a link to it to show others and when I try and download it (in hopes that I can upload it on here again) I get this error:

Error (403)

It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

I am indeed signed in and it is my video and my account. I would really love to fix this issue because these videos (which are from my security cameras) are actually quite important. I needed to show them to a lawyer etc. I also tried to search my computer and see if it is in the dropbox cache, but that is empty. Unfortunately when I had transferred these files to another hard drive something happened and some of the files did not transfer. So, I don't have that option to go back and get them that way.

Again, all I did yesterday was rename the files. I also tried restoring the previous versions with no luck.

Any clue as to what happened and how I can fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Just wanted to rename my files and now unable to get access.

When you renamed the files you likely removed the file extension (the three or four characters after the period in the file name; .docx, .jpg, .xlsx, etc.). That extension is what systems (your operating system, Dropbox, etc.) use to determine what application should be used to open or preview a file. Without the extensions, those systems have no idea what kind if file it is.

Put the extensions back on the files and you should be able to view/open them.

Changing the name should not have messed them up.

Not true. It will mess them up if you change or remove the file extension.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Tyler F.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

i have this same problem, any answers?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Error 403 means you've generated the link incorrectly. You need to follow www.dropbox.com/help/167

If there is no extension available just re-add it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

C C.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I can't re-add the files because like I stated they got messed up when I transferred from one portable hard drive to another one. The only place left that these files were, were on here.

Again, the only thing I did was change the name of the file. That is all. Nothing else. Changing the name should not have messed them up. And if that could mess them up then one should not be given the option to change the name of the file or at the very least a warning should come up explaining that it may make the files un-viewable.

The files worked perfectly prior to me changing the names of the files.

The link someone gave me above which ends in help167 is for how to share a file. It doesn't say anything regarding my situation with not being able to view my files. It will allow me to download it but then it is some bizarre file which when I try and upload on here it does the same thing and I get the error again. I needed a simple way to view these videos to use as evidence.

Tanya N.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am also having the same problem. Just wanted to rename my files and now unable to get access..it say Extensionless Files cannot be preview. Trying to find solution to the problem but with no luck. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Just wanted to rename my files and now unable to get access.

When you renamed the files you likely removed the file extension (the three or four characters after the period in the file name; .docx, .jpg, .xlsx, etc.). That extension is what systems (your operating system, Dropbox, etc.) use to determine what application should be used to open or preview a file. Without the extensions, those systems have no idea what kind if file it is.

Put the extensions back on the files and you should be able to view/open them.

Changing the name should not have messed them up.

Not true. It will mess them up if you change or remove the file extension.

pixiestixsdc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The same thing happened to me. I don't know why, but I know how I got my Files back.  Highlight the file you want without clicking on it to open. There's a bar at the top of the screen, the same one that has the Rename option. Click the more, then click "Version History." You'll see a list of all the time's you edited it. Click and find one that still exists. open it up. In the top right hand corner there are two options. Download or Restore. I tried to Restore, but it didn't work, so I downloaded it. Now I can Upload them back onto Dropbox from the fies on my computer. I hope that all made sense and was helpful. Good Luck!

oraworldwide
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I placed photos into a file and then went in to number them in order so I renamed them. They have disappeared and it states tht I can preview extension files. What is going on?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
When you renamed the files, you removed the file extension. Please read this entire page.

Josep V.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Please, bring back preview of text files (.tex, .bib, .README), please, pretty-please, preview of text files? Please?

@C C.6 wrote:

Yesterday, I decided to rename some of my videos on here to help me better identify them. After doing so now my files say: "Extensionless files can’t be previewed" . I tried to restore them to the previous version but still nothing. It will let me view the previous version but I cannot get a link to it to show others and when I try and download it (in hopes that I can upload it on here again) I get this error:

Error (403)

It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

I am indeed signed in and it is my video and my account. I would really love to fix this issue because these videos (which are from my security cameras) are actually quite important. I needed to show them to a lawyer etc. I also tried to search my computer and see if it is in the dropbox cache, but that is empty. Unfortunately when I had transferred these files to another hard drive something happened and some of the files did not transfer. So, I don't have that option to go back and get them that way.

Again, all I did yesterday was rename the files. I also tried restoring the previous versions with no luck.

Any clue as to what happened and how I can fix this?

Please, bring back preview of text files (.tex, .bib, .README), please, pretty-please, preview of text files? Please?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

malcolmholland New member | Level 2
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    Theron W. New member | Level 2
    Norman_aim16 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?