cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Excel Preview Garbles Data

Excel Preview Garbles Data on the Dropbox mobile app

Michael 103673
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Numbers in cells overrun into adjacent cells. No longer see a button to open file.

18 Replies 18

Michael 103673
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Doesn’t seem to matter which browser is used. They all present the same garbled display. 

Has been this way at least since I first reported in June 2023, as dated in first post above.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see. One more thing to clarify; you mentioned previously that this was working properly on your Finder, but not www.dropbox.com. This happened when testing this on your Mac web browser and not the mobile browsers on your iOS devices, correct?

I’m having a look with our team to see if there’s something else we can try. Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Michael 103673
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
That’s pretty much the issue. Good luck finding a solution.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We've not received any other reports from other users. Are these normal Excel files created by yourself? 

Are they created in the Excel app, the site, or converted from another format into Excel?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Michael 103673
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am guessing that other users are not attempting to view their Excel files in Dropbox because they are likely to only exist within Microsoft OneDrive instead of Dropbox. 

These are Excel files that I created in Excel (using either iMacOS or iPadOS).

They were created using either the Mac Excel app or the iPad Excel app. Doesn’t matter which, because they display the same in Dropbox as garbled (examples above) when the text in one cell overlaps into the adjacent cell.

None of the files have been converted from another format into Excel.

Hope this helps your technical people investigate and resolve this issue.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We have a large number of users using Office apps on iOS devices, and to my knowledge, none have reported this issue.

Could you create a new Excel file from the Dropbox site directly and, without copying and pasting data, try to replicate the issue?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Michael 103673
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Apparently what happens now when I attempt to replicate the previous issue by creating a new Excel file from Dropbox, without copying and pasting, instead of showing garbled (overwritten) text from one cell to the adjacent cell, the cell with more text than would normally show now wraps the text to the next line, thereby increasing its row height which is not an acceptable result.

I do not want to have any rows adjusted in height when there is more text to display in any cell. This modifies the original file as well. It also destroys the continuity of the entire spreadsheet and looks like it was made by a third grader!

But, it does not overwrite the next cell as previously mentioned. So, it seems now I have traded one issue for another.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Does that file also have this new behavior when viewing it in the Excel app?

What if the file was viewed in landscape mode, does the view expand to show the full cell?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Michael 103673
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I started from scratch and created an entirely new Excel file. I have no idea what was going on with the previous version of the file, but the new one now displays properly in Dropbox, the same as it looks within Excel, with no overlapping text from one cell to the next.

So, I suppose that solves my issue.

Thanks for all the assistance. 

Need more support?