cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Files not opening to edit in Excel from Dropbox.

Excel Files not opening to edit in Excel from Dropbox.

ijmolder66
Explorer | Level 4

Started this week.  On my phone I can open an Excel file in Dropbox as a preview but when I click on the edit button I get the Office Excel opening (Downloading from Dropbox) screen, then it flips to the "Microsoft Office Integration would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox. Learn more. > Allow screen"  I click on Allow then it just flips back to the Dropbox preview of my Excel file.  I have logged out of Dropbox on the (Android) phone, then back in, no change.  I have rebooted the phone, no change.  I have uninstalled Excel on my phone and let Dropbox install it again, no change.  Sometimes I get the "Sign in to Dropbox to link with Microsoft Office Integration" prompt so I do, no change.  I have clear Cache, no change.  Removed the Default apps, no change.  I can open and edit the Excel file with Excel  on the Web from a computer.  I am will to use Google Sheets but I do not get that as an option on the phone. 

Note: I can open the Excel file in Excel on my phone if I open Excel directly on the phone then select the file, just not from within Dropbox.

image.png

image.png

image.png

55 Replies 55

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rajma420, as of yet, we have no update on this matter. We'll keep you updated as and when this has been resolved.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rajma420
Helpful | Level 5

Issue still exists.

rajma420
Helpful | Level 5

Issue still exists. Can't open password protected excel file in Dropbox app. Reported this a month ago to  you all.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, and thanks for your patience so far. 

We expect the next release to have a fix for this issue, and we've reached out to inform MS of the issue in their integration.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ijmolder66
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the update, sorry for the delayed response, I gave up checking for updates.

Glad to hear it will hopefully be fixed in the next update BUT I do want to add that NONE of my files are password protected and I cannot open Excel or Word docs from within the Dropbox app but I can when using the Excel or Word apps directly; so I do not think it is a password protection issues.

Hope this helps your engineers.  When will the next release come out?

rajma420
Helpful | Level 5

It's been months, are you all going to fix this? I am paying $120 a year for Dropbox, can you give me a partial refund?

rajma420
Helpful | Level 5

Can you respond?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

HI all, I just wanted to check back on this. Is anyone still having issues with this? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

rajma420
Helpful | Level 5

I am still unable to open password protected excel files in the dropbox app. I can open normal excel or word files just fine.

File integration message, then says can't open. Open with something else.

rajma420
Helpful | Level 5

Actually, still can't edit a word doc or excel file in Dropbox app. Microsoft - allow integration. Can't Edit a word doc too

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bbeck Explorer | Level 4
    Donjrath New member | Level 2
    rajma420 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?