cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox overwrote my files :( Any ideas?

Dropbox overwrote my files :( Any ideas?

Grrrrrrrrr
New member | Level 2

Not sure if this is the right category... I rarely use Dropbox, but I wrongly assumed that by having the files in the Dropbox folder they were being backed up. Thought I was signed in, apparently I wasn't. When I did sign in today, the program said something about "renaming" a folder. I clicked OK. It appears to have overwritten/deleted all the files in the Dropbox folder that weren't synced. I'm kicking myself. Anyone have any miracle ideas? Bleh.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Grrrrrrrrr wrote:

... the program said something about "renaming" a folder.

Could it have renamed your existing Dropbox folder and started a new one, with the data saved in the cloud? Look for a second Dropbox folder at the same level as your current one.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Grrrrrrrrr wrote:

... the program said something about "renaming" a folder.

Could it have renamed your existing Dropbox folder and started a new one, with the data saved in the cloud? Look for a second Dropbox folder at the same level as your current one.

Grrrrrrrrr
New member | Level 2

You're right! It created a "Dropbox (Old)" folder in the same location. THANK YOU internet friend!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Grrrrrrrrr New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?